Chapter 11: Heaven

The Aftermath: Part 2

LUCY - 11/18/16

After editing the Spanish section of the university's newspaper, I walk out into the night and grimace as my stomach growls.

I'd spent almost all day walking around the humanities building, trying my best to stay out of my apartment and get things done for once. Bumping into Lauren outside was a possibility I was not willing to take.

I get into my car and drive out of campus. The night is colder than ever so I turn the car heater on. As I drive through town, I barely see any souls walking around. Everyone seems to be at home or sheltered in one of the many shops lining the street.

Deciding to get some Starbucks and call it a day, I park in a public lot and basically run through the door. I look around and, thankfully, no one is paying attention to me. I end up buying a small coffee, a few chocolate chip cookies, and a breakfast sandwich.

Jonathan: dude wtf happened with mere

I give my phone screen a double take.

Lucy: Dude? Mere? Since when do you call me dude and Meredith mere?

Jonathan: she's not answering any of my texts or calls, I haven't heard anything from her in days

Lucy: are you guys, like, dating or something?

Jonathan: no

Lucy: cut with the bullshit, you like her don't you?

Jonathan: it doesn't matter if i like her or not, where is she? what fucking happened?

Lucy: it ain't none of your fucking business

Jonathan: fine

Jonathan: let's see how well you do on your biology project

Lucy: you've got to be fucking kidding me

Jonathan: im not

"Mother fucker." I whisper angrily to myself.

Suddenly, my coffee cup breaks and it spills nearly everywhere around me. Everyone is now glaring at me in annoyance.

"I'm sorry." I tell them before they go back to what they were doing. I can hear one of the cashiers call another employee to help me. As I try to clean the table, I grab my phone and it is dripping wet and won't turn on.

"Lucy!"

My body freezes.

It's Lauren.

"Here, let me help you." I look at her and I suddenly know she's the hottest Starbucks employee I will ever see.

She swiftly mops up my mess, leaving the floor just the way it looked before. I occupy myself by using some napkins to dry my clothes and she begins to help me.

"You don't have-"

"Stop." Lauren cuts me off. "It's fine."

I take a deep breath and let her help me. She begins to wipe my arm, holding it softly in her hands. I try to ignore her tender touch but she starts rubbing it with her thumbs.

I take a few steps away from her. "I've got to go."

Frustration flashes across her face for a second before she's smiling at me again. "I'll get you another coffee. On the house."

"I'm fine." I turn away, grabbing my things, afraid of looking at her straight in the eyes.

"I insist."