Part Three

"What? No, sorry, my brain is just really frazzled right now. Also, it's not exactly your place to tell me when to die." I was angry that this man thought he could so easily get into my life.

"Perhaps I can't, but I think the sad part about our society is that people forget that death means death. You land yourself a spot in hell and there's no climbing out of that hole." The man's voice was steady. He blinked slowly, and once he opened his eyes again they were a dark maroon-like color. I couldn't understand why I kept seeing different colored eyes, perhaps my mind was screwing with me like it always did.

"I've already been through hell. Whatever is down there can't possibly be worse," I thought this to be true. Life was so cruel that truly anything would be better.

"You say that so calmly, but you've never been to hell. What if I told you hell was the exact same thing, only it goes on for an eternity, with no chance of change. You can't graduate, can't go to college, can't fall in love, can't have a family, and worst of all, you can't die to get out of it." The man let out a laugh. His laugh was amazingly distinct, and it felt almost familiar. It was a deep chuckle, almost a taunting sound.

"When will this train return to where it dropped me off?" I asked, I was sick of this conversation; I also realized that this man is most definitely insane.

"You said you didn't know what you want to do with your future, well, you said you didn't even plan to have one. How about you try helping people for a change?" I could feel my face flush. This man was clearly calling me out on being selfish.

"I do try to help people! I just never succeed, and they always end up hating me anyway. Most people don't even let me get close so what does it matter?" I replied, which was only half the truth. The truth was that I believed I can help people, but there's never anyone who is in need of help.

"You're wrong, Anna. You don't realize there are people who have it far worse than you. People who seriously don't have friends, people who truly have no hopes for the future, people who truly want to die." Somehow the man's stare turned callous and confrontational. I didn't question how he knew my name, or perhaps I didn't notice that he said it.

"I do want to die..."

"You don't. You want to help people who do." I was silenced, I didn't know what to say. The man was right, I was about to make the biggest mistake of my life. I never wanted to die, I was sick of seeing other people die and make the same mistake.

"You-"

"Are right," I was cut off by my own voice, but my lips weren't moving. The man spoke, however my voice tumbled out of his mouth. The train skidded to a stop; I looked out the front window and saw that the tracks were broken in front of us.

"Is something wrong?" I asked, still looking at the broken tracks

"Get off the train. You don't belong with the people who ride it. You'll find a car on the street just over there, waiting to take you home." The train doors slid open, and I obediently stepped out before turning around. I stared at the man's dark brown eyes,

"before you drive off, I have two questions," I began.

"Good. I have two answers" the man replied.

"Where was this train headed if the tracks were broken, and what's your name?" I asked.

"This train? Why, it was heading to hell. My name; I have many, though the my most common aliases are Satan, Lucifer, Mephistopheles." The man grinned.

"The devil...?" I questioned, in awe.

"Indeed, and this is my train." The man's grin stayed as I looked in the other train carts' windows. There were many bodies, however all of them were lifeless. I realized, that if this man didn't deter me from my choice, I would have been among the people on the carts.

"What?" One syllable was all I could muster. I had so many more questions,

"Well, Anna, this is goodbye, and if you ever find yourself in this situation again, please ask yourself who you want riding the devil's train tonight."