First Wednesday of July: Night Hours

"Miss Ann-Marie Moore?" A nurse called out into the waiting room. 

Ann-Marie shot up off the chair and waved her hand. 

"That's me!"

The nurse gave her a once over, probably expecting an older woman, then sighed and waved Ann-Marie forward and led her down the hallway. 

The nurse showed her the room and then walked on, saying there was another nurse already in there. 

"Hey Miss Ann-Marie!" She heard Harrison when she walked through the doorway. He had a club for an arm and a nice bruise on his chin. He tipped his fedora at Ann-Marie and she smiled in relief. 

"Harrison, oh thank God you're alright."

"If you would have just let me do my storytelling, this wouldn't have happened."

"If I had let you continued your storytelling to the extent it was going to go, you'd be dead!" 

Harrison pointed behind him at a rather tall male in blue scrubs, his tag and stethoscope nearly falling off of him. Ann-Marie had not realized that there was someone else in the room and began to blush furiously when she did. Harrison smirked. 

"Miss Ann-Marie, this is Mr. Bailey, he's been a great nurse, I like him better than the doctor, actually." Harrison grinned and wiggled his eyebrows and Ann-Marie just sighed. 

"Dr. Palentia is great, you just like me more because I signed your cast."  

"See? He's much more fun." 

Nurse Bailey snickered and spun around, running a hand through his already incredibly disheveled hair, the thin watch on his wrist catching some of the strands of his dirty blonde hair. 

When he saw Ann-Marie, he couldn't help but gawk. 

"Uh, you're Harrison's... what now?"

Harrison snickered and leaned over. "You know, usually when you want to hit on a patient's guardian who you expect to be someone else's mother, you say something like "you must be his sister!" or something." 

"Because I know that's not your mother, Mr. Harrison." 

"Mister? See, I like you Bailey!" 

"I'm Nurse Bailey," he shook Ann-Marie's hand. 

Nurse Bailey was young, maybe even younger than Ann-Marie. He had wild green eyes and wild hair to match, with a large freckle like birthmark on his chin. 

"I'm Ann-Marie, most call me Ann. I'm Harrison's... guardian."

"She owns the orphanage I live at." 

Nurse Bailey seemed surprised by Harrison's outburst and stared at him with wide eyes for a moment. He cleared his throat and smiled, nodding towards Ann-Marie. 

"Oh, wow, that's really awesome. Well, obviously you know my profession. I am what most kids call a 'murse'" 

Nurse Bailey didn't seem ashamed in any way or form as he said this, though. It had just become a fact of life for him. 

"Well, Mr. Bailey I would never call you a 'murse', and neither would Ann-Marie." 

"Well, Harrison, you are quite the gentleman." 

"When he wants to be," Ann-Marie told Nurse Bailey, her glance pointed at Harrison. Harrison gave a sheepish grin. 

"I love ruffling your feathers, Ann-Marie, it's so much fun." 

Ann-Marie chuckled and hit Harrison's shoulder. 

"Jeez, I'm already in a hospital!"

"Well then you'll heal much faster," Ann-Marie quipped. Harrison laughed.