Ulysses - Ithaca

Magicseeker

Prof. Creelman

English 3402

February 27th, 2017

Ithaca: Bloom's Sentiments about Molly

In Ulysses' chapter, titled Ithaca, many relationships are developed; such as the relationships between Stephen and Bloom, Molly and Bloom, the character's relationship to religion, and the relations between Molly and Blazes that Bloom eludes to. Bloom is the constant in all these relationships, and the main underlying focus in his mind relates primarily to his sentiments towards his wife's infidelity, more importantly, his acceptance of it. This establishes Bloom as a character who possesses an opposing perspective to his Homeric counterpart. The writing structure of this chapter, is a component that also serves to reflect Bloom's approach in regards to dealing with the adultery.

A semi-dual secrecy is presented in this chapter, as Bloom omits certain details of his day, and Molly has taken part in an affair. Although, it appears that Molly was not very prudent in concealing her infidelity, as Bloom is able to distinguish subtle alterations in the room. He recognizes that the chairs are angled toward one another, the presence of cigarette butts, as well as a male's indentation in his bed. This attention to detail could also indicate how much this knowledge weighs on Bloom's mind, despite his passivity on the matter.

Interestingly enough, Bloom's inaction and overall acceptance of his wife's infidelity, is an aspect that establishes in opposition to his homeric counterpart, Odysseus, the ancient hero whom his character appears to be loosely based from. Whereas Odysseus had plotted to kill Penelope's other suitors, Bloom is able to look outside of his own concerns in order to consider multiple points of view. He excuses the actions of both Molly and Blazes; he justifies it by stating that Blazes is not malicious, but rather an impulsive youth, and that Molly was only following what was natural. This contrast against the ancient greek hero, sets Bloom's approach as being reflective of the modern anti-hero.

The writing strutting used in this chapter was likely not chosen solely to perpetuate the experimental technique generated in earlier chapters. Its question-answer based format creates a logical and linear arrangement that also serves the purpose of revealing Bloom's mentality in regards to processing his wife's affair. This chapter strives for objectivity through its configuration, something that is demonstrated through Blooms lack of outward emotional response. Bloom also attempts to create a level of distance between himself and these events by adding the element of a narrative visualization to his acknowledgement of the infidelity. Bloom does not simply see the physical evidence presented to him, but regards it with the distance of a reader through his own imagination. "two discoloured ends of cigarettes, its musicrest supporting the music in the key of G natural for voice and piano of Love's Old Sweet Song" (830). The following paragraph details all of the varying responses he has in regards to these thoughts: "with pain...attention...solicitation...amusement...pleasure" (830). It would not been considered the typical response to receiving confirmation that his spouse has cheated on him; he uses his own influence in the imaginings of these events to transition from a sentiment of pain, to one of pleasure.

Therefore, Bloom's acceptance of Molly's relations with Blazes, despite the pain and concern it causes him, has not only reinforced his position of the modern anti-hero, but also demonstrates the difference in thought process than Odysseus. In addition the stylistic approach of a structured, logic based format increases the readers understanding of Bloom's objectivity and passivity in regards to Molly's infidelity.