16

"Tate, where's Damon?"

I turn around, sliding the key in the lock and walking over the the car. Tay's jaw drops, but i just quickly get in the car. She's going to question me and I'm not looking forward to it.

"Did you just lock his door? Why do you have a key?" she practically yells in the car.

"He had to deal with work so he gave me a key to lock up..." I trail off.

Tay shakes her head, starting the car. She pulls away from his house, driving fast down the road. My phone dings, and I pull it out, opening the text.

I'm sorry I had to leave so suddenly. Maybe I could make it up to you tomorrow? -Damon

A smile tugs at my lips, and I love the idea of him making it up to me. Then I remember how I have to go start my job at the book store. Reluctantly, I text him back, saying maybe later in the evening tomorrow. Tay clears her throat and I quickly look up.

"How is the feeling figuring out with Damon?" she asks, her eyes never leaving the road. I shrug, trying to play it cool.

"Things are good, ya know. We just spent time together and I might like him..." I trail off. Tay quickly parks, turning the car off.

"You like him?"

I shrug, getting out of the car. Tay follows behind me closely as I go into the building. Not once does she stop questioning me about Damon and what happened today. Doesn't she know curiosity killed the cat? When we get in the elevator, Tay grabs my shoulders, shaking.

"Tell me what happened!" she yells, and I can't help but laugh.

"Nothing. We watched some movies, had some food. It was fun but nothing happened."

By the way she looks at me I know she isn't happy with my answer. Tay can read me pretty well; she knows more happened. Still, she doesn't ask anymore. The elevator opens and we both get out, walking to the apartment.   The time of night finally hits me when we go inside, and I'm ready for bed.

"Night Tay," I say, kissing her cheek.

"Night."

I quickly walk to my room, almost not even taking off my clothes before I climb in bed. The warmth of my bed envelopes me, and I can feel myself drifting off. Today was a long day and I can't wait to start a great day tomorrow.

~ ~ ~

The excitement rises up in my throat as I walk closer to the book store. All night I barely slept, despite how tired I was. I couldn't stop thinking about this moment. I never thought I'd be so excited to start this job. When I walk in the bookstore, I'm greeted immediately.

"Tate! I'm so glad you're here. I've been excited to work with you. You had such passion in your eyes when we first met," says the man.

"Oh, I'm so sorry, I forgot to ask last time, what's your name, sir?" I question, the embarrassment showing clearly on my cheeks.

'I'm Benjamin."

I nod, and he motions for me to follow him. He takes me into the bad, and I'm amazed by all the different types of leather. I take a deep breath, the amazing smell being soothing. He takes me further into the back, stopping at a small work bench.

"I was thinking, and I could put you in the front your first few days, but I thought you'd enjoy this more," he tells me, picking up a piece of leather.

"I've marked all these pieces. I plan on sewing them together, but they need to be punched. I have a few leather punches over there," he says pointing to a bin. I nod.