Chapter 8

Chapter 8

“I’m so stupid!” My head was plonked down on my desk, not daring to let the surrounding eyes see my true emotions.

“You never know, his phone may have just been out of battery or he may have been in a hospital helping out ill children?” Jordan’s convincing skills wasn’t the best. As you can guess, I never got a call. I waited up all fricking night for my phone to start singing “Single Ladies” and maybe on the other side would be the person who would make me not a single lady. But I never heard Beyoncé’s sassy yet magical voice, all I could hear was my mum snoring from the next room.

“Yeah, and maybe hell might freeze over. Get real Jordan, he would never call me, I’m just an outsider who falls for bad boys.”

“God Ash, calm your knickers!” I don’t even know why I’m getting so touchy. I’ve only talked to the guy once and we exchanged numbers. No big deal. Normally, whenever I read books about how a girl likes a guy after just meeting them really cheesy and unrealistic.  Oh how Ironic I am.

“I’m sorry Jordan; this boy is just driving me crazy. I can’t stop thinking about him!” I had now raised my head from my desk, inhaling the gloomy classroom atmosphere. Once again, I had been faced to conquer another lesson in English with Miss Price’s piggy eyes piercing towards the direction of me, waiting for me to slip up again so she can get the joy of sending me out of the class. What a cow.

“He’s just like any other guy, they will use their charming skills to seduce you and then they will totally forget about you the next day.” As you can tell, Jordan has had more boyfriends then I have. 7 and a half to be exact. (She classed going out with JJ Hamblett in primary because when she sent him a ‘Do you like me?’ he ticked the Yes box, but then the next day he got freaked out when she tried to kiss him.) She does have a point but I couldn’t help a tightening in my stomach and my hand automatically grasped itself.

“He’s not like that though, just because he hasn’t called me doesn’t make him like any other guy! You don’t know George!” Woah. What the hell just happened there? I’m getting defensive over a guy I hardly know and then I just had a go saying Jordan doesn’t know him. HE IS MESSING MY MIND UP.

“Miss Collins! Please can I remind you that an English class should be a place for English and not for shouting matches?!” Miss Price’s voiced screeched.

“Sorry Miss, I will make sure I tape up my mouth next time.” I said sarcastically.

“Well that would be a definite improvement!” I heard a whining voice snigger from the back. I turned around to see the delightful face that I would love to smack in the face every morning.

“Oh, I’m sorry who asked you Melody?” Her face looked as orange as always with her hair as big as the sun. I guess it’s a good match really.

“Girls, calm down” Miss Price interrupted us. She had no idea that her input was worthless.

“Well, if I hear about you talking about my boyfriend, I would more than likely want to find out what the hell is going on.” What the hell is she on about him being her boyfriend? She’s mad.

“Oh yeah, so if he’s your boyfriend why did he humiliate you in detention yesterday in front of everybody and ask me for my number?” Everyone’s faces suddenly turned to me and Melody. I could see that her scrawny face scrunch up into a little ball. I had found her weak spot. There was no way she could get out of this one.

“Oh please Asha, stop making up petty lies. Why would George go for a guy like you when he has a girl like me by his side? You’re just a little pathetic girl who sits with her snotty little friend and talk about weird shit.” Her face immediately changed expression. Her lips formed into a cocky smirk and one of her slug eyebrows raised up.

She knew. She knew how to make me blow. She had found my weak spot. And let’s just say, I never cry. I would never show a sign of weakness. So to make things short, the next thing I knew I was sat in detention and Melody was sent to the nurse. Let’s just hope that she knows where her place is now.

When I got sent to the detention room I noticed that there were less people in there than usual. There were no gossiping girls in the corner or guys having arm wrestles. There were just a couple of gormless souls sat in silence near the front minding their own business. Well I won’t complain, the quieter it is, and the more I can actually hear my guitar playing. I registered at the office and strolled over to the cupboard and pulled out the guitar. I couldn’t help to think that if I was never sent to detention I would of never had taught myself how to play guitar. I’ve been trying to save up for my own personal one for ages now. I have one in particular in my mind. A Fender Kingman SCE Upgrade 3TS. (Search it up, you will fall in love). When I went window shopping with Jordan, I couldn’t help myself to look inside Fender’s music shop. I looked around for ages until I reached the back at the shop. There it stood. The most enchanting guitar I have ever seen in my life. I would have bought it there and then but the price tag said it was £400. On sale too! So unfortunately I had to leave it behind. But my cupboard guitar will do for the moment in time. My good old friend.

I started to strum the chords of ‘A Thousand Years’ by Christina Perri. One of my all-time favourite songs. I could feel my whole body disappear to the amazing land of music. So much so words started to slur out of my mouth. At this moment in the time I hadn’t had a care in the world so I started to sing a bit louder.  And then the next minute I found myself belting it out. But then something made me stop. I could hear another voice, another voice singing along. A voice so dreamy, it made goose bumps appear all over my arms. A voice I have heard before that didn’t even need to turn around to identify the owner of this voice.  The voice that I had wished to hear all last night.

“Oi chuckles, why did you stop?