Why Same-Sex Marriage Is a Bad Thing

In today’s society, homosexuals are everywhere, and just like heterosexuals, they’re falling in love. Homosexuals want to the right to marry the ones they love. Why is same-sex marriage a bad thing? 47% of voters from the Pew Research Center say that they either oppose or strongly oppose gay marriage. The Pew Research Center is a “nonpartisan fact tank that provides information on the issues, attitudes and trends shaping America and the world” ("About the Pew Research Center"). Some reasons that people say that they are against same-sex marriages are reasons such as: most religions consider homosexuality a sin; that it would weaken the definition of the institution marriage; that it would further weaken traditional family values; that it can provide a slippery slope to things such as marrying your pet; that homosexuals cannot procreate; and that the gay lifestyle is not something to be encouraged (Messerli).

In the Bible it states, “Do not have sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman; that is detestable” in Leviticus 18:22 (The New International Version Bible). Roman Catholics in England and Wales look to their leader, the Archbishop of Westminster for his views and wisdom. One of his followers, the Most Reverend Vincent Nichols is attempting to have five million Roman Catholics to sign a petition so that same-sex marriage will not become legal. The Archbishop himself will warn his followers that legalizing same-sex marriage would “threaten the true meaning of a sacred union” (Stevens 11).

Mike Huckabee, the former Governor of Arkansas, said this in an interview with The Perspective, a monthly news magazine that covers a variety of Liberian issues ranging from politics to the environment, about same sex marriage, “You don’t go ahead and accommodate every behavioral pattern that is against the ideal.” He continued, “That would be like saying, well, there are a lot of people who like to use drugs, so let’s go ahead and accommodate those who want to use drugs. There are some people who believe in incest, so we should accommodate them. There are people who believe in polygamy, so we should accommodate them” (Marcotte).

Marriage is already threatened by divorce rates of 40-50%, and 40.6% of newborn babies are born to unwed mothers ("Gay Marriage"). If gays were allowed to marry, that would only further weaken traditional family values. In order to have children you need a man and a woman, a mother and a father. A child would be reared by this couple and the child would grow to be an average human being. If a child is adopted by a homosexual couple, they do not have the mother and the father that they need. A young boy needs the emotional support of his mother and young girls need the bravery and strength of their fathers. Without proper parents, children can grow up with a skewed vision of the world and it’s values.

If homosexuals were allowed to marry one another, the madness would never end. Where will law changes stop if it starts; will you be allowed to marry your dog Fido in twenty years? Not only will there be men who have more than one wife or women with more than one husband, but bisexuals could use their sexual orientation as an excuse to have one husband and one wife to satisfy their needs. This slope has already began to show itself with the popular television show, Sister Wives on TLC. This show displays Kody Brown, his four wives, and his sixteen children with one on the way. Polygamy is already here and if homosexuals are allowed to marry, worse things may happen.

In order to conceive a child, an egg of a female needs to be fertilized by the sperm of a male. When you see two homosexuals, you have to realize that they have matching sex organs, and, thus, cannot procreate and have children. Some homosexuals have been identified as “transgendered”. The Merriam-Webster Dictionary defines transgender as “who identifies with or expresses a gender identity that differs from the one which corresponds to the person's sex at birth” ("Transgender"). These transgendered people may be able to change their sex, but that does not mean that they can have children. A transgender male (female to male) can have a costly surgery to have a male sexual organ be made, but no sperm will be created in the faux testicles. Transgender females (male to female) can have their reproductive organs removed and can have a vaginal canal created, but a uterus and ovaries cannot be created. Homosexuals cannot reproduce naturally.

According to the Medical Institute of Sexual Health, "homosexual men are at significantly increased risk of HIV/AIDS, hepatitis, anal cancer, gonorrhea and gastrointestinal infections as a result of their sexual practices," while "women who have sex with women are at significantly higher risk of bacterial, breast cancer and ovarian cancer than are heterosexual women" (Bauer and Lomas). This disease ridden lifestyle of promiscuity and homosexuality should not be encouraged. This lifestyle is a choice. If a homosexual wants to marry, then they can choose to be straight and marry the opposite gender. Homosexuals should NOT be allowed to marry one another.