Part two: Rose tavern

(Rose tavern)

That starry evening in Daveen, a city just outside the land of Orpheus and at the edge of Mortreed kingdom, people clattered and chattered inside the Rose Tavern. It was an old place with creaking wood floor and over used stools. Like any other taverns in Mortreed, one of its walls is covered with bounty notices. People come by to see the wall while other ignores it. Old companions cheered in joy as they gulp down their ales, others sang and some simply enjoyed watching.

 The young man behind the liquor bar smiled at the familiar smell of home. He had been away for a whole year and has just returned today from his travel. He, Iota Lagnus, a gentleman of nineteen who had always been a footloose kid, enjoyed the thrill of bounty hunting and selling loots in the black market.

The Lagnus clan were a bounty hunting family after all before his parents decided to put up this tavern. He was the only one who continued the tradition under his grandfather’s footsteps despite his parent’s disapproval. After his grandfather’s death a few years ago, he had inherited his alias, Void.

“Iota, my boy! Welcome back to the Iron City.” old man Rak called as he enters the tavern door. Though old, Rak was a tall muscled man and was once one of the strongest soldiers of Mortreed kingdom.

Rak sat on the bar stool and slapped the back of his thin old friend Gordon who was sitting on the stool beside him. “Oy, Iota.” Gordon gestured at him with his jug. “Is it true that you rejected a novel woman’s marriage offer?” he asked.

“ What!? You handsome chum… This place never had a lot of ladies when you’ve been gone but look at it now, more than five pair of female eyes had been watching you for some minutes now.” Rak stated then gave a masculine laugh, Gordon and a few other friends joined him.

Iota grinned at the red headed woman that had been staring at him then winked at her. The woman giggled despite the scowl of the man she was with who had obviously seen Iota’s gesture.

“Hey, you! Did you just winked at my wife?” The man growled and stood angrily. Iota didn’t flinch but only grinned wider at the six feet barbarian that was planning to break every bone in his body.

Instead of backing away, Iota leaned his elbows on the counter, expectation for an amusement glittered in his eyes. Before the angry man reach Iota, Rak, Gordon and other well-built colleagues of his stood before his attacker.

Rak was half a feet taller than the angry man, thus he loomed over him with daring eyes. “Do you have any problem, Warren?” he asked his voice deeper than before. Warren eyes flickered in fear. Iota surpassed a chuckle.

“Haven’t I banned brawling in this bar?” a lady’s voice coming from behind Iota said startling him and the other men.

Iota turned and smiled innocently “Hello, big sister. We were just playing around.” He explained. It didn’t remove the frown on his sister’s expression.

“Sorry Miss Rita.” Gordon said. Rubbing the back of his neck he sat back on his stool. The others men sat after him. The woman with red hair bowed at Rita apologetically then dragged her husband out the tavern by the arm. Most of the watchers returned to what they were doing before the scene.

“You little prick! Just returned after a year and here you are, causing trouble already. Seriously, can’t you get your hands off the ladies even for a day?” Rita scolded with no sarcasm in her tone. Despite that, Iota and his friends laughed as if hearing a joke.

Rita shook her head incredulously with a grin on the side of her lips. “Welcome home brother.” She muttered.

“Excuses madam, may I ask you a question?” interrupted the boy that approached the counter. It was the second time he had asked but Rita just noticed him now. He was a boy of twelve or thirteen with dim blond hair and a pair of emerald green eyes. Rita can sense his noble blood in spite of his ordinary clothing. A taller, older boy stood behind him wearing an eye patch on his left, this one has silver hair and a bluish grey eye.