A Sunday...

A Sunday...

Sunday. This is the day when our house resembles a fish market.... And I mean it. Every Sunday, my two uncles with their wife and children visit our house. The elder one has three sons while the other has two sons and two daughters. This shows how crowded our house gets. Not to forget that these children are the most noisy and naughty of all. Being the eldest, I have the responsibility to oversee what they are doing and sometimes baby sit them when the elders are out. So you see... I have to suffer all the time.

It is almost two weeks after that drastic accident and I still feel its consequences. My cousins and I were alone in the house because the others were out for the shopping. It was a clear, sunny day - a perfect weather. I was sitting on my garden chair with a novel in my lap, intending to spend the afternoon calmly while the children were playing baseball.

I cursed the moment when Troy, the clumsiest of all, said with his eyes twinkling and a cunning look on his face, "Let's make Michelle our first batsman!" I tried to ignore and act as if I did not hear him. In reality, my insides were burning and I really wanted to shake Troy with all my might for trying to ruin my day. But all of my show for ignorance went in vain when all of them gathered around me. Some were trying to emotionally blackmail me while the others were threatening to tell their parents that I was not giving them proper attention. In the end, the "toddlers" won and I lost.

Sara handed me the bat and whispered a kind advice, "Look out for the ball. Troy intends to hit you with it". I thanked her and fixed my eyes on the ball, my heart pounding as I slowly saw the ball coming towards me. I hit it really hard. My chest swell with pride on my shot but immediately shrank as I saw the ball hit the neighbor's window, breaking the glass into thousand pieces. We call agreed it was too late to do anything about it as we saw the owner of the house coming out with an awful angry look. The children gasped and hid behind me, making me the focal point.

I still remember the curses from that man and the taunts that my parents gave me after the incident. They all agreed that I was not mature enough to handle a bunch of kids. They decided never to leave me alone with them. This was the only thing that was beneficial for me and now, I do not regret that incident at all.