cнαpтer 5

I continue walking down the beach, watching the sun begin to set below the horizon. I sit along the shore, watching the orangish glow disappear under the waves. "Hey." I don't even bother to turn around, I know exactly who it is. "Hi." I say emotionlessly. "I just thought you'd be hungry so I uh, brought you some food." Evan slides a plate of food onto my lap. "I'm not hungry." I shrug. 

     Evan sighs and takes a seat next to me in the sand. At first, neither of us say anything. We just sit there, watching the sunset. Romantic? Maybe for people who are completely in love, but since we absolutely hate each other, it's just plain awkward. I catch Evan sneaking glances at me ever so often. I turn my head towards him and he looks away quickly. "Is uh..something wrong?" I ask him hesitantly. His face turns bright red and he shakes his head, "No..I uh..I should go back inside." He takes his jacket off and tosses it at me, "It may get a bit cold outside.." He mumbles before scurrying back up the beach to the house. 

     "Well that was weird..." I stare at his jacket and slip it on, noticing how cold it had gotten. I finish watching the sunset, imagining what it would be like if Mom was still here. She'd be sitting next to me through out the entire thing. I look up and whisper, "I wish you were here mom."

     I wait until the sun goes completely under and there is no light left before making my way back up the hill to the house. It's about 8:30 now, I can't believe I was out there for two hours. "Where have you been?" My dad asks as soon as I come through the door. "I was out." I reply bluntly. He looks at me curiously but doesn't press further, thank god. My dad continues on with the game of Poker he has going on with Tim and a pretty women with long, dark brown hair cascading over her shoulders loosely. I figured she was Mrs. Harwood. She seemed to be in her early 30's and she was naturally beautiful, those kind of girls you just hate in high school. She was wearing a nice beige blouse and some slacks, she looks as if she had just arrived home from work, which, guessing by her heels lying on the floor next to her, I'd say she just did.

    "Hey, I'm going to hang on the beach. I'll be back in a few hours." Evan says, coming downstairs wearing a tank top and some skinny jeans. He walks passed me without even glancing at me, as if I didn't even exist, but like I cared anyways. As soon as he passed, I could immediately smell the cologne scent coming off of him. Boys don't just 'casually' wear cologne when hanging out with a friend. Guys could care less what they smell like around their friends, but when girls come into the picture it's a totally different story. I'd say that Evan is speaking a crap load of utter shit and is actually going to a party. And by the looks of it, a girl he likes is probably going to be there. 

    "Why don't you take Elaina with you? It'd be a great way for her to meet some friends." Evan's mother smiles at me and I simply stand there, praying Evan would say no. "Fine." Evan shrugs, surprising me, "But she might want to change." He says eyeing his jacket on me. 

     "Actually, I'm pretty tired so I was just going um go to bed." I say quietly. Evan looks at me, relief filling his whole expression, he obviously didn't want me to go. "Are you sure? You don't just have to say no because Evan is giving you a hard time." Tim gives his son a slight smirk while Evan's face flushes. I nod quickly, "Yeah I'm sure." My dad stands up and hugs me, kissing my forehead, "Goodnight then love." I nod, "Night." I pull away and walk upstairs.

     For the rest of the night, I study in my books. I know I'm nerdy but my mother always said education is the key to the happy life...unfortunately I am first in my class, I have a 4.0 GPA average and I'm probably one of the most unhappy peope in the world. At around 11 I climb into bed and just stare at the ceiling. Day one of vacation and I want nothing more than for it to be over. I sigh turning on my side. I am so close to falling asleep when I hear, 'CRASH'. My eyes fly open and I sit up, waiting to hear another crash but nothing comes. I, like most stupid people in horror movies, decide to look. I stand up and walk out of my room carefully. I took kickboxing since I was 10 so if there is an intruder I am more than capable of kicking their asses. 

     I peer down the hallway to see none other than Evan stumbling down the hall, holding onto the wall as if his life depended on it. He stumbles a bit and walks into his room. I notice a broken lamp on the ground. I roll my eyes, "He is so drunk." I quickly clean up the broken glass and throw the pieces away. "I waaas going to do thatt..." A voice slurred from above me. I look up to see Evan, his eyes bloodshot, carrying a broom and trash can. Something tells me this isn't the first time he's come home drunk. "It's fine." I whisper, "You should go back to sleep. You're drunk." He bursts out laughing and I try to quiet him down, "You're going to wake people up!" He laughs and shrugs, "They never gave a damn about me anyways." I freeze for a moment, wondering who exactly he's talking about, I think it's his parents but he's drunk and he probably couldn't tell the difference between a car and a banana.

     He chuckles a bit, losing his balance by simply standing in place. I grip his shoulder, leading him into his room and seating him on his bed. "You know, when I first saw you, I thought you were beautiful." he slurs, but yet there was honesty behind his voice. I don't respond at first, "You should get some sleep. You're going to have a massive hangover when you wake up." He nods and slides into bed. "You know what? I like my room. It's a nice room, don't you think?" he chuckles like a child. I laugha  bit, "Yeah definitely." I sit on the foot of his bed and wait for him to fall completely asleep before sneaking back into my room. I can't help but replay the words he said to me. "You know when I first saw you, I thought you were beautiful." That just has to be some drunken bullshit...right?