Chapter 1

There are lots of wizards in the Fairy Tail guild - some are well known; others aren't.

My name is (F/n) (L/n). My father and I are among those who aren't mentioned very often. I say "my father", but he's not really a member of the guild anymore. He passed away about 3 years before Lucy, Wendy, Juvia, or Gajeel ever joined us.

My old man was incredible. He was ridiculously strong! In fact, he was one of the Ten Wizard Saints! When he was alive, he was the only wizard in the guild that could actually go toe-to-toe with Gildarts!

Dad was a master of Transformation magic. His Full-Body Takeover was unparalleled!

I use a Full-Body Takeover as well. Dad taught me everything I know. I'm not the only one either! He taught the Strauss kids too when they first came to the guild. Master Makarov asked us to take them in, and they basically became my younger siblings - I being two years older than Mirajane.

Dad certainly made us feel like a family. He raised us all on his own. My mother wasn't in the picture, but we did have help from the guild. He worked hard to take care of us and trained us to be good, strong Transformation wizards. He was so proud when I became an S-Class wizard at 16, but he passed away just before Mira earned her own promotion.

It was tough when he died. I was still mourning when we supposedly lost Lisanna a year later. After that, I couldn't take it anymore, so I left. I didn't come back until word reached me that my adopted baby sister was home - alive!

I wasn't around for the X784 S-Class Promotion trial though. I was out on a big job request, so it was another huge blow when I got back and found out those who went, including my brother and sisters, were missing - presumed dead.

This time, though, I couldn't leave the guild. Macao became the Guildmaster and asked me to stay and help him hold everything together. Obviously, that didn't work out too well. My fighting spirit was gone. I blame myself a lot for how far Fairy Tail actually fell over the next seven years. It was a real relief when we finally found the others again.

Now, it's X791 and time for the Grand Magic Games! This is where our story really begins!

I sat by myself in the back corner of Fairy Tail's box seating overlooking the arena. I wasn't really a social creature. I actually would have been competing in the Games myself, but I'd declined Master Makarov's request to do so. I didn't feel deserving to represent the guild, but I still attended in order to show my support.

The first day of competition was terribly disappointing. I couldn't help but cover my face in embarrassment when our two teams finished with the two lowest scores on the board. I could only rub my head in frustration.

It was only mid-afternoon when the arena closed for the day. I decided to take my mind off things and explore the festivities throughout the capital city of Crocus. The streets were bustling with people. Decorations were strewn all over. Booths were set up selling food, novelties, and anything else spectators might buy. I soon found myself browsing casually through a series of booths selling cultural arts and crafts from all over the kingdom.