Morning Of

On the morning of September 1st, I spent 20 minutes in front of my wardrobe trying to decide what impression I wanted to make on the first day of high school. The outfit I had laid out on the bottom of my bed last night, a pair of new jeans with a floral top, gray sweater, and charm bracelet now seemed too thought out, which would make it look like I was trying too hard. Then again, I didn't just want to just say "screw it" and throw on a flannel and leggings. I decided to stick with the jeans, but wear a plain t-shirt and pretty necklace on top. Casual and chic. 

Then I went to the bathroom to brush my hair and do my makeup. As it turned out, my mom was only a little upset about my new haircut. She was mad at first but soon decided that I "still look girly enough," so all was well. After untangling my hair, I pinned up my bangs and smeared moisturizer on my face. I added a light touch of blush along with a little mascara and some tinted lip gloss, then styled my hair.

My phone was blowing up with first day messages in the group chat from last year, so I quickly read through those and sent my own wishes to everyone, then headed downstairs for breakfast.

My dad had made his special first day back waffles, which I drenched in syrup and powdered sugar. That earned me an eye roll from my mom. I used my knife to cut a piece off and as I bit into the waffle, the powdered sugar blew all over the table. Both my mom and sister rolled their eyes while my dad just laughed and threw a napkin at me. I wiped it up and devoured the rest before clearing my dishes and heading back upstairs to reapply my lip gloss.  My summer brain had been getting the best of me- doing my lips and then eating?

"Victoria," my mom shouted. "We're going to leave without you if you don't hurry up!" 

"If you want to ruin your own child's education," I muttered. I took one last glance in the mirror at myself, semi-satisfied, and ran outside to the car.