Origins

None of us would have imagined that it would happen, it just happened so suddenly, no warning, no anything. It happened in a lab one day, the scientists were trying to make a virus that could fight off diseases, inoculate them.

Instead, they unleashed hell on Earth to the likes of nothing they've ever seen, as soon as they gave it life, they were all infected. Then, they went home to their wives and children, as soon as they made contact with their family, boom, they were infected too.

They died about a week later, after contact with so many other people, the way the virus gets transmitted to another victim is by kissing, sexual acts, and saliva, so basically a zombie STD. The infected then come back to life about a week later. Once they came back to life, all their values were gone, replaced by a lust for blood and death, they became known as Sentients.

This is where my story starts, I was the overseer of the lab, we were doing a lot of experimental stuff down there. The scientists never asked for anyone's permission, they just went ahead and applied the chemical to the virus.

This chemical wasn't finished developing, we still had to add one more ingredient to stabilize it, they didn't know that. The chemical reversed the main function of the virus, to help the people survive.

I saw them apply the chemical, I knew it was unstable, so I immediately grabbed a couple important items and got out of there, I went home and stayed there, holed up for six months. That's when the first wave of infected came, soon, the virus spread from California to Oregon, from there to Washington.

Eventually the U.S. got boxed in, when that happened, the Sentients started coming through and trying to push us to the middle of the country. That's when the President declared this a national catastrophe, the words left his mouth, and thirty seconds later, he was killed by the Sentients, with the entire nation watching, it happened so fast, he was grabbed and stabbed in the throat. The Sentients then slaughtered everyone there, they called it the D.C. Battle.

I knew what was gonna happen prematurely, so I started early, driving from California to around the Kansas, Nebraska area. I raided a few military bases, eventually getting a nice stockpile of weapons, I established a few safehouses, the best one being about 13 storage units underneath an apartment building, that was in Wyoming. I hid my car in there and continued on foot, wearing a trenchcoat with a ton of weapons in it, I made it on foot to the Nebraska Kansas border.

I had spent about a year establishing safehouses on the western side of the country. The Eastern side was one I didn't want to try, there were more Sentients on the East, the middle was the one place that was the least populated with them, for now at least.