Chapter 19: Devil's Side

Elijah, Coney, and Klaus are having breakfast in the dining room, where Klaus is drinking orange juice with champagne and looking pleased with himself. Elijah, however, does not seem amused, and Coney is just drinking some O negative out of a clear glass.

"Is something the matter, brother? Can I fix you a drink, perhaps?" Klaus asks. He sips his own drink with a smirk, and Elijah just rolls his eyes in annoyance.

"Strangely enough, Klaus, I'm not in a mimosa mood," Elijah says and Coney chokes on her blood, spitting on the white tablecloth, saying sorry before cleaning the extra blood that was dripping down her chin.

"Fantastic! More for me," Klaus says.

"Let's discuss strategy, shall we, Niklaus? Just wondering if you actually have one. We can begin with Mikael's ashes, given that they are the main ingredient in our weapon against Dahlia, would you care to tell me where they disappeared to?" Elijah asks and Klaus sets down his drink, looking annoyed and put-out.

Klaus quickly smiles fakely and says, "Elijah! I have compelled the city's finest pastry chef for your own personal edification, and yet, you ignore my efforts in favor of needless concerns!"

Rebekah enters the room, looking tired and hungover, saying, "Can we stop talking so loudly?" She sees the pot of coffee and sighs in relief. "Give me that." Rebekah walks over to pour herself a glass, sitting down next to coney who was still trying to clean herself up.

Klaus, amused, asks, "What's the matter? New witch body not up to last night's bender?"

Rebekah rolls her eyes. "So? I had a few," She says and Coney scoffs.

"A few?" She asks under her breath, causing her to get a glare from Rebekah and a look of amusement from Elijah.

"It's not every day you lose your father at the hands of your brother. Again," She says, ignoring Coney's statement.

Klaus laughs heartily and asks, "Whoever said opportunity only knocks once, eh?" Elijah, Coney, and Rebekah stare at him blankly and silently, and Klaus scoffs. "Oh, come on! We all fled Mikael's tyranny together for centuries! I would have thought the mood this morning might be a bit more jubilant!"

"Under normal circumstances, the annihilation of our father would be rather commendable, Niklaus. Unfortunately, we have a greater threat to contend with," Elijah says and Coney nods while Klaus hops to his feet to pour himself another drink.

"You know, for someone who's been invited to a celebratory breakfast, you're proving quite the buzzkill," Klaus retorts and Coney sighs at his pettiness.

Elijah sighs deeply and Coney says, "Well, Klaus, if anything indeed has killed the-" She makes air-quotes with her fingers- "'buzz', as you say, perhaps it was because murdering your Father alienated the one person who truly knows how to defeat Dahlia!"

"If Freya wants to be part of this family, she should be willing to accept us, warts and all!" Klaus yells and Coney stands up to tower over him, but Elijah pulls her back down into her seat.

"Coney's right. Freya loved Mikael, and you've likely ruined everything," Rebekah says.

Klaus rolls his eyes petulantly. "Pity. Whatever shall I do?" He asks and everyone but Elijah rolls their eyes, the eldest on the room too aggravated to do so.

"Whatever you please, apparently!" He yells.

Klaus angrily slams his hand against the stable and screams back, "Do not mistake my high spirits for lack of clarity! I know full well the threat we face. And, I intend to deal with it. Personally." Elijah gives him an annoyed and skeptical look, but their conversation is interrupted by the sound of high heels clacking loudly against the stone floor in the next room. Klaus is immediately suspicious of the noise. "Someone's here." He quickly stands and rushes into the courtyard as Elijah and Rebekah follow behind him. Upon entering, they find Josephine, who is wearing a conspicuously-placed velvet choker around her neck. She looks at them calmly as they approach her.