04: Moral Compasses

Contains some spoilers for the Power of Three

Although this was in all likelihood unintentional on the part of Erin Hunter, Hollyleaf, Lionblaze and Jayfeather appear to represent Deontology, Virtue Ethics, and Consequentialism.

Deontology is "duty ethics, so it compares a person's actions against some duty or imperative. An example is Kant's Deontology, which has the Categorical Imperative that all persons must be ends in and of themselves and may never be used as means. Deontology emphasizes the character of the actions." Or, Deontology says that certain actions are always moral or immoral, regardless of the circumstances, for example "lying is always bad".

Virtue Ethics " measure actions against some given set of virtues, with the goal being to be a virtuous person (eudaimonia, the Greeks called it). An example is Stoicism, which, among other aspects, holds the virtues of wisdom, justice, fortitude and temperance. Virtue ethics emphasize the character of the person making the actions." Another way of looking at this, is looking at a person's intentions - if someone lied in a well-meaning way, the lie is okay.

Consequentialism says that morality is determined by "the results matter, not the actions themselves. Whatever has the best outcome is the best action. For example, under utilitarianism [which is strongly linked to consequentialism] the goal is to take whatever action maximizes happiness, regardless of the motivations or nature of the action." So lying is fine so long as the outcome is good.

(https://www.quora.com/What-are-the-differences-between-consequentialism-deontology-and-virtue-ethics)

So how does this link to Warriors? When you think about, this very much outlines how the original three make decisions, at least, during their Power of Three arcs. Let's take a look at this excerpt:

""Do you want help gathering herbs?" Jaykit offered. Hehad never been out of the camp, and he was desperate toexplore the forest. He wanted to smell the boundary markers; up till now he had tasted only the weak scents of ShadowClanand WindClan carried from the borders on the pelts ofThunderClan patrols. He wanted to feel the breeze fresh offthe lake, untainted by the scents of the forest. He wanted to learn where the markers were along each boundary so that hecould defend every pawstep of his Clan's territory.

"You could gather far more herbs with us to carry themback to camp!" Lionkit put in.

"You know you're not meant to leave the camp until you'reapprentices," Leafpool reminded them.

"But you'll need help if there are sick cats . . . ," Jaykit insisted.

Leafpool silenced him by flicking the tip of her tail overhis mouth. "I'm sorry, Jaykit," she meowed. "It won't be longuntil Firestar gives you your apprentice names. But untilthen, you'll have to wait like any other kits."

Jaykit understood her meaning. Their father was the Clan deputy, and their mother was Firestar's daughter; Leafpool was reminding them yet again that it did not entitle them tospecial treatment. His tail twitched crossly. Sometimes it feltlike the rest of the Clan went out of their way to make sure he and his littermates never got special treatment. It wasn't fair!

"I'm sorry," Leafpool meowed. "But that's just the way itis." She picked up the foul-smelling moss and padded back tothe medicine den.

"Nice try," Lionkit whispered in Jaykit's ear. "But it lookslike we're stuck in the camp for a while longer."

"Leafpool always thinks she can win us over just becauseshe brings wool for our nests from the moorland," Jaykithissed. "Or pieces of honeycomb to lick. Why can't she just give us what we really want—a chance to explore outside the camp?"