The Captain

"Admiral! We simply cannot take another battle with the Golgoth cruisers. The Admission cannot handle it!" I shouted.

            This was all I could muster after the crushing defeat that had just occurred. We were at war and had no options left. Our cruiser, the Admission, had been heavily damaged. We had lost a stabilizer, and our shields could only handle so much more. The Admission was the greatest of space cruisers. Two hundred meters in length, the ship left a dark shadow hanging over the earth. We were the last defense, the last hope.

            "Know your place, Captain. We have been given strict orders and to disobey would be treason. We will stand fast no matter the cost," calmly returned the Admiral as if there was no threat.

            "Surely, there are other ways to do this beyond suicide. As Captain, I demand we at least explore them. Within a bolka, the Golgoth will have regrouped and will launch."

            As I said these things, the admiral firmly placed his cold, crisp hand on my shoulder and led me to the viewing port. The earth shone a stunning blue and green from the port.  Space was speckled with the brightest of stars as the month of Havari was upon us. My mind shot back to just months before.

            "Everything is going to be alright," I told my youngest daughter, Joy. "Daddy loves you with all his heart, and is only leaving to keep you safe."

            She looked up at me, her eyes as big as they had ever been. Tears crept their way out of her eye, streaming down the cheek. Not a word left her mouth as she attempted a smile. I could not stand the sight once more. This was not my first time leaving, but it was by no means the easiest. My heart yearned, thinking of how hard it must be for her. I welcomed a feeling that one  experienced only in times like this. It made it's way to my heart, and suddenly, all I felt I could do was take her head in my arms and let her cry on my shoulder.

            The day was bright and as I saw the horizon, and looked down again at Joy, I could only cry myself. Years of preparation for war and becoming the toughest of the military could not help me in this moment. My father-like instincts jumped out at me, and I, squatted, stayed there for what felt like hours, taking in the moment. For a time, I questioned my choices. Why must I go through this pain and at what cost? The driver, with a sorrowful look on his face whispered into my ear.

            "I'm sorry, but it's time."

            I slowly released my hug, slid my hand through her soft hair, and sent her crying back to the rest of our family. Jane, my wife, could not stand. The sorrow brought her to her knees, and even she could not be there for the children as the pain was too great. Jack, my boy, welcomed Joy into his arms. They just stood there, crying. I couldn't bear the sight. I was fighting back tears as they comforted each other. This time was not like the others. My heart begged me to turn around and keep them safe. I did not want to go, but I knew I had duties. Emotions were flowing as I blew a kiss back to my family. I would regret this moment for the rest of my life.

            "Look yonder Captain," was what I heard, bringing me back to reality. "We have abandoned our greatest achievements, and for what? The Golgoth attack in waves and cannot be beaten. We were but hopeless. Now we finally have a chance, and although it may not be in our favor, the future rests in our hands."

            The Admiral kept as calm as possible while breathing a heavy sigh, filling the cabin with a cold mist. Growing up, I had heard stories and seen movies about what space may be like, but they were not even close. Times have changed, and we have learned how gruesome it truly is. Living in the Admission is not comfortable, and the temperature changes are extreme.