The Wolf and the Dragon

World I

"You let them go back?!"

Naruto looked up from the paperwork he was reading and sighed. "Good morning to you as well, Sasuke," he greeted.

"Why did you let them go back?"

"'Let' is giving me too much credit," Naruto grumbled, rubbing the bridge of his nose. "It implies that I could have stopped them."

"How are you so calm about this?" Sasuke asked.

"I'm not," Naruto muttered, "but the village isn't going to stop. It's not like I don't know where they are, and according to the inventor, they have a way back this time."

"Who all went?"

"As far as I know, Boruto, Sarada, Himawari and Mitsuki."

"Mitsuki?" Sasuke asked, raising an eyebrow. "Are you going to tell Orochimaru that his son has gone to a dangerous alternate dimension, or should I?"

"Oh..." Naruto hadn't thought about that. It wasn't that he was okay with his son and daughter disobeying a direct order to not go, but he knew worrying about it wasn't going to help. Boruto was a formidable force now, and he was sure his son could take care of himself and his sister. In truth, Naruto was more worried about what Himawari would do to Boruto than what the people of that world would do to him. "I hadn't planned on telling him, actually. There's nothing he can do about it."

Sasuke smirked. "Do you really want him to find out through the grapevine?"

Naruto bowed his head. "It's not like he can come down here. The situation is being handled."

"Is it? Because I have a letter from Orochimaru asking why his son hasn't been given leave to visit him."

Naruto looked up sharply. "You spoke with Orochimaru? When?! And why?"

"A week ago and I had some business with Karin and Suigetsu, and they happened to be at Orochimaru's base."

"Catching up on old times, then?" Naruto asked.

"Shut up."

"Don't speak to your Hokage like that." Naruto leaned back in his chair and sighed. "I guess I should tell him."

"Are you going to let him come to the village?"

"Why? There's really nothing to be done about it," Naruto muttered. "All that can be done is to sit here and be worried, which he doesn't really strike me as the kind of guy who would worry about that child."

Sasuke leaned against the wall. "Are you implying something?" he asked.

Naruto shrugged. "It can't be easy for Mitsuki."

"He respects Orochimaru."

"But does he love him?"

Sasuke blinked, then shrugged. "I don't think that word is in Orochimaru's lexicon."

Naruto pulled out a piece of paper. "Who knows?" he muttered and then started writing a letter. "I'll let him know."

World II

Himawari's eyes were wide as they walked onto the airship field. She stuck close to Sarada. This was the first time she had even been on an airship and she was rightfully excited to get on one. Mitsuki was calmer, however. He had been on one before, but not one this large. He smiled down at the two girls, then looked forward as they boarded the massive ship. He handed the woman at the boarding station his registration card and smiled at her kindly. She scanned it, welcomed him to their ship, and stepped aside.