The Things We Left Unsaid...

Chapter Nine: The Things We Left Unsaid...

World One

Present Day

Naruto hadn't slept since the kids went missing. He sat at his desk with piles of paperwork growing with each passing day, but the thought of continuing his work as if nothing happened made him sick. It was the middle of the night. The kids had been gone for over a week with no sign of them or the maker of the mysterious metal Sharingan. Naruto's hand shook with both exhaustion and the adrenaline that was making him more and more stressed as the days wore on.

On the outside, the villagers hadn't really realized there was something wrong. Naruto had been able to keep up appearances during the day, but at night, he was a wreck. Sakura had visited ever day she wasn't out on a mission to search for them. Hinata was as much of a wreck as Naruto was, and would often find solace in her family when she wasn't finding solace in Naruto.

For the first time since he had been married, Naruto felt the bitter sting of being alone. Hinata wasn't exactly leaving him to grieve alone, but he knew that when he couldn't be around, she had a family to go to. Sakura had one as well, but Naruto didn't have a family to find comfort in. Hinata understood his loneliness, but Naruto couldn't expect her to fully be able to understand the depth of that loneliness...

And it was that loneliness that kept him up at night. Hinata was on a mission with Sakura, Kiba and Shino to try and find more information. Naruto couldn't leave due to the fact that this wasn't a national security issue; it was private and personal and he couldn't abandon the village in order to go and try to find his children. The house was quiet... and not that comforting silence that came after the shouting children had left and he was finally alone to work on the paperwork. This silence was uncomfortable and sad, like the silence in the house he had lived in his whole life.

Naruto stared out the window at the city lights beneath his office. He bit his lip, tears clouding his eyes. He felt utterly useless. They hadn't been able to get a hold of Sasuke and a hawk had been sent a few days ago, letting him know that his daughter was missing. The only clue they had was the metal Sharingan that meant nothing without context.

"Naruto!" an angry voice shouted as the doors to his office swung open. Naruto turned around to see a familiar, yet very angry, face staring back at him. He quickly wiped his eyes.

"Good evening, Sasuke," the man muttered. Sasuke clenched his fists.

"How could you let this happen?!" Sasuke shouted

Naruto flinched at the accusing tone in his friend's voice. "My kids are gone too," he snapped weakly.

"Exactly!" Sasuke growled. "What happened?"

"I don't know," Naruto answered truthfully as he stood from his desk. He hadn't expected Sasuke to come rushing home so quickly, but he figured it wasn't a stretch. Despite being away from the village so much, Sasuke loved his family; probably more than Naruto did at times.

"Well, what was the last thing that happened between you and your kids?" Sasuke asked, trying to keep his anger in check.

Naruto looked down at the picture of him and Boruto he kept on his desk and sighed. Their final moments were ones he wished he could do again. He had been furious at Boruto; but not only angry, terrified for the child as well. Boruto was in more trouble than the child realized and Naruto had been unable to properly convey the severity of the situation when Boruto had confessed to doing it not because he was trying to be mean, but because he wanted his dad to look at him.