Prologue 2.0

Until she was lifted. Scooped up,by great, big, strong hands. Hands that seemed the length of trees and the width of broad rivers. Away from the danger, and the fire, and the fear.

She opened her eyes gently, and her long eyelashes parted to reveal a hazy figure. It, for it looked neither man nor woman, spoke words that were serene, as if they were waves lapping onto a sand bank. It's eyes looked old and wise, like it had seen the world being born from a void of dark. Like it had seen the mountains being crafted or, perhaps, it chiselled them itself, with it's great, big, strong palms.

" Who?" She managed, but her words, yet again, were just a representation of her emotions.

"Trust." It said. "You will learn to trust."

She stopped crying.

" I am Leidolf. God of the North. Descendant of Filtiarn, and Grandfather of wolves. I have saved you from death and suffering, my child, and so you are mine."

She was unable to make any sound.

"You are Thea." He announced. " I adopt you as the mother of all wolves, Goddess of the moon. You will be trained as a leader."

Thea was silent. She was only two winters old, just a baby. Her name was not Thea.

" No." She cried, and the God hushed.

" You called for me did you not? Your wails echoed through the heavens. I listened, and I helped. And now you must pay off a debt."

" A debt? I thought you were being kind!" She despaired, for although Thea was only a baby, she understood kindness. It was the language that the deaf could hear, and the blind could see. It was the default personality that a human was born with. That, and cruelty. Yet, the God was not a human, and nor was she. Not any more.

" I am a wolf." He answered, and touched her forehead. The veins in her arms turned black." Do not mistake my kindness for weakness, nor my calmness for acceptance. I saved your life, and you shall be eternally grateful."