VII

AN UNSEASONABLY COOL breeze danced through the trees, carrying the scent of pine and wood, as Olivia hiked through the hazy preserve alongside Brett and Liam, the moon acting as their only source of light

AN UNSEASONABLY COOL breeze danced through the trees, carrying the scent of pine and wood, as Olivia hiked through the hazy preserve alongside Brett and Liam, the moon acting as their only source of light. Mason trailed a step or two behind, studying every last detail of the forest around him.

Olivia hugged her jacket closer to her body in a feeble attempt to protect herself from the chill and conserve as much heat as she could. She was only just beginning to learn the weather patterns in Beacon Hills and she still wasn't prepared for the low drop in temperature that always settled over the town after dark.

Too preoccupied trying to keep herself warm and not trip over any rebellious roots protruding from the forest floor, Olivia didn't notice Brett glance over at her, his eyes sweeping over her shivering frame in faint concern. He debated if he should say something to her, offer his jacket maybe, but after a moment of contemplation he decided against it. He barely knew her—he didn't understand why he felt his protective instincts kicking in.

Perhaps it was because she was a pretty girl who had that damsel in distress complex he was so drawn to, but he knew that wasn't the reason, no matter how many times he told himself it was. It was the way she'd expressed her apologies about his parents, the sincerity he'd heard in her voice that made him see her differently. She wasn't just some hot girl to charm into bed with him, she was someone who had suffered and endured it.

He respected that.

Brett cast her another glance before he turned his gaze on Liam. "Are you sure you know where you're going?"

The four of them had been wandering around the same expanse of woods for the last hour and if they didn't find this sinkhole in the next five minutes, he was going to suggest they head back. The last thing Brett wanted was for Olivia to freeze to death. He didn't necessarily think it was that cold, but he was used to the brisk weather, and being a werewolf who could generate his own heat didn't hurt either.

"I know where I am," Liam responded dismissively.

"So do I," Brett said as they slowed down. "The middle of nowhere."

Liam shot him a dry look and Olivia bit her lip in amusement. Before either of them could say anything more, a loud rustling sounded from behind them, followed by Mason's voice calling out, "Guys!"

The trio shared similarly confused glances before they headed over to a circular disturbance in the ground. With Brett and Liam on either side of her, Olivia carefully peered down into the sinkhole, weary of falling in herself. She did not need to relive that experience.

Mason rubbed his head. "I think I found it," he said with a grimace.

Brett and Liam exchanged another look over Olivia's head.

"Do you see the necklace?" Liam asked.

Using the flashlight feature on his phone as a guide, Mason rummaged through the dirt and leaves. "No, I don't see it."