Chapter 1

A/N I'll be posting a new chapter every Tuesday. This is my first story so sorry if there's any mistakes. Thanks for reading.
(set after mary leaves after drugging Sherlock in TST)

Sherlock was lying face down in bed, only just waking up due to the late night he had had last night keeping track of Mary's whereabouts. John had decided to stay up to keep track of her, in desperation and fear of her being in danger and neither of them noticing. Sherlock yawned and dragged himself out of bed, pulling his bed sheet around him and walking through to the kitchen to make a cup of tea. John was snoring, his head resting on the dusty table; his laptop was in front of him. A ray of sunshine peeked from underneath the blinds, illuminating John's sleeping face. Placing his tea down next to his chair, Sherlock picked up the laptop and sat down, resting his hand on the arm of his seat and tapping his fingers on it in a constant rhythm. A loud crying sound came from John's room, and John woke up, looking around.
"Was that Rosie?" John asked, yawning as he did so. Sherlock nodded and they both stood up, walking towards John's room. Rosie was crying in her crib; her favourite toy had fallen on the floor. John smiled slightly and picked up the toy, while Sherlock picked up Rosie and cradled her in his arms, humming her favourite lullaby quietly. John handed Rosie her toy, and both Sherlock and him smiled as Rosie started laughing, resting her head against Sherlock's chest. They waited a couple of minutes, Sherlock still humming and John resting his hand against her head to soothe her, until she fell asleep. Carefully, they placed her back in the crib and walked through to the kitchen.
"The sooner we leave to get Mary, the easier it will be for both of us." John said, sighing slightly. Sherlock leaned against the wall, waiting a few seconds before responding.
"We should wait longer, make her think she's actually got away. And I've actually been quite..." he paused here, hesitating "enjoying my time with Rosie."
"You? Enjoying time with another human?" John laughed, shaking his head.
Sherlock glanced over at John.
"What? Just because I'm much more intelligent than you I can't enjoy myself?" He queried.
"No...I just didn't think you of all people would care for a baby..." John replied, looking away from him. Sherlock didn't reply, just moved through to the sitting room, closely followed by John. They spent a few minutes in silence before Sherlock finally spoke up.
"It's your baby John, and I wouldn't not do anything to help you...because you're my best friend, I mean..." He went quiet and picked up the laptop again, pretending to be interested in tracking Mary. John tilted his head slightly.
"It's Mary's baby too.." he ventured, leaning back into his chair and waiting to see what Sherlock would say in response. A few moments past before Sherlock replied,
"Yes, yes of course." A few more awkward minutes dragged on before John got up and broke the silence; he left the room abruptly, muttering about having to check on Rosie.

A few days later...

After the awkward few moments a few days before, Sherlock didn't mention caring about the baby, and didn't really help John at all with Rosie. Confused with Sherlock's behaviour, John decided to confront him.
"Can I speak to you?" John asked tentatively, walking into the kitchen where Sherlock was doing an experiment.
"Not now John..." was Sherlock's reply.
"It's actually quite.." John started before Sherlock interrupted:
"I'm in the middle of an important experiment, can it wait?!" But this time John wouldn't give up.
"Would you stop being such an arsehole for once and LISTEN TO ME?!" John snapped, which made the detective look up. Sherlock nodded slowly but didn't say anything, as if daring John to continue.
"You've stopped caring and gone back to your old, depressed self, and I want to know why." John said, relieved to have finally spoken his thoughts. Sherlock looked back at his experiment.
"I have a lot of work to do, John, and I have no time to get involved in your meaningless affairs."
"But I thought..." John started, but like usual, he was interrupted.
"That I actually cared? Have you forgotten you're talking to a sociopath?" Sherlock laughed.
"You made a vow, Sherlock. A vow to keep Mary and my baby safe." John replied after hesitating. Silence.
"Well?" John asked, his patience growing short.
"You want me to help with Rosie again, without you questioning my....emotions? Well, fine. But only for you." Sherlock replied, making eye contact with him. John sighed in relief and smiled at his friend. Smiling briefly back, Sherlock got up and followed John to put Rosie to bed.