- Chapter 23 -

It was raining that Friday morning in Konoha Cemetery. Resting just beside the local park, the somber rows of graves lay just atop a hill, looking out over the city. On a clear day it would be a very peaceful sight, watching the sunrise over the town while the dead enjoyed their eternal rest – a bittersweet union of beginnings and ends. Today, though, it was only dreary. Thick, gray clouds loomed overhead, pouring down on the tombstones and causing nearby flowers to droop under the weight.

Thus, understandably, there were no visitors at the cemetery that morning save one. He stood completely motionless over one particular grave, staring blankly at the epitaph. The way he seemed completely unfazed by the rain, combined with his glossy-eyed gaze, made it appear as if he were dead himself. A zombie, numb to the rest of the world.

This particular man carried a bouquet of lilacs in one hand, the rain running off their petals and dripping onto the grave below. He also wore a distinct mask over the lower half of his face, which had turned almost black in its damp state. Even as the rain matted down his hair, obscuring his vision of the epitaph, the man remained motionless, and it was only the sudden crack of thunder that seemed to snap him out of his daze.

Of course, the man didn't jump or anything – in fact, he seemed to move after the lightning strike merely by coincidence. With a sigh, he bent down and laid the lilacs on the grave and brushed his hand over the lettering – Obito Uchiha.

"What do you want me to do, Obito? Is it really okay to start over again?" the man asked calmly as he rose to his feet. "I know you can't answer me – but still, I'm not sure if I'm ready yet. I can't just wait forever, though, right?"

The rain continued to fall, its roar providing the man with his only answer.

"It's my own fault, I know. If I hadn't been so foolish, you'd still be here today," the man continued. He chuckled half-heartedly. "I suppose you don't need me to tell you that, though, do you?"

More rain. The pause was considerably longer this time.

"I don't want to replace you – I know I can never do that. But... I look at Sasuke, and I see how much happier he is now with Naruto. Your little cousin, Obito – he's in love. Probably wouldn't admit it, but he is," the man laughed a put a hand over his mask. "I wonder if that's how I've been these past few years, though. Have I been like Sasuke, turning a cold shoulder to the world? I'm just afraid I'll wake up one day forty years down the road and realize I'm all alone."

Rain.

"I really wish you could hear this. Well, for all I know, maybe you can. I just want to know how you feel about this – should I try to do what makes me happy? Am I even worthy of that?" the man paused, and turned away from the grave. "Thanks for your time, Obito. Sorry to keep you."

With that, the silver-haired man started down the hill towards Konoha High, his clothes thoroughly soaked, and his conscience burdened with guilt.

xxxxx

"Sorry about the other day, by the way," Sasuke said to Naruto as he fumbled through the items in his locker. First hour had just ended for that Friday, and he was preparing to run off to his next class while spending a few, quick minutes with his boyfriend.

"No you're not," Naruto replied, crossing his arms over his chest with a humph. "I told you to stop multiple times, but you just kept on going."

"Yeah, you're right," the Uchiha said with a smirk, slamming his locker shut. "Still, I never knew you were so ticklish down there. Just a little lick and you're giggling like a schoolgirl..."

"I have sensitive feet, all right? It's nothing to be ashamed of," the blond snapped, his cheeks reddening. "I mean, you can lick them if you want to, but at least wait until I'm off the phone with my dad. That just feels... wrong."