[x]

"Meghan, can we stay up late?" Abigail asked me as I pulled her pajama shirt over her head.

"No, silly." I answered.

"But why?" she whimpered.

"You know why." I sighed. "Your bedtime is 8 o'clock."

"Aw, but those are my parents' rules," she coaxed. "That doesn't mean they're your rules, too."

"They most certainly are, Abby." I was babysitting the best seven-year-old negotiator on the planet. She crawled into bed and I pulled up the covers over her head. "And that means no asking for snacks three times during the next ten minutes."

She stuck out her bottom lip and I raised my eyebrows, which made her giggle, ruining her act.

"Goodnight." I said as I closed the door.

"Goodnight, Meghan."

I tiptoed back down the stairs to the living room. My school backpack was by the couch, so I sat down and pulled out my laptop. Might as well kill some time, I though. Her parents won't be home till eleven.

I scrolled through my social media for a while, envying everyone who was out hiking or visiting the Grand Canyon while I was stuck here babysitting for my neighbour. When I had had enough of that, my SwankyDatez bookmark caught my eye. I glanced up the stairs, then logged in.

3 POSSIBLE MATCHES IN YOUR AREA.

I smiled, one of those smiles that doesn't really have a reason behind it, it just comes anyway. There were three names: Kurt, Damon, and Hudson. I've always liked the name Damon. I clicked on his profile.

DAMON VANNORMAN, 21. LIKES CATS, DOGS, AND ANIMALS IN GENERAL. FAVORITE FOOD IS CHINESE, AND FAVORITE TV SHOW IS THE REAL JANITORS OF SOUTH FRESNO. LOOKING TO MEET A KIND GIRL WHO SHARES SOME COMMON INTERESTS.

Damn. Assuming the profile photo wasn't doctored, he was CUTE. I smiled again, and said to myself, "Well, you've found one."

I knew I probably shouldn't have been doing this while I was babysitting, but who was going to know? I clicked on the direct message button.

Hey. I like all of those things, too!

I cringed as soon as I had sent it. That just seemed, CRINGEY. But the damage has already been done. Now, I just had to wait.

A few minutes passed. Then ten. Then fifteen. Even though he hadn't said anything yet, it was beginning to seem like he didn't like me. Maybe he just wasn't online.

I don't know why I cared so much, but I was ecstatic when he finally replied.

Really? That's so cool!

Ooh. He thought I was cool. Now at least the conversation was started.

We talked for a while about The Real Janitors of South Fresno. About a half-hour in, he told me that he had recently moved to Radio Springs, a neighbourhood that was new to him, and that he didn't have many friends. I, of course, was even more excited:

That's where I live!

He seemed surprised and excited.

No way! That's awesome!! Wyd right now?

Would he be weirded out if I told him that I babysit? I decided to take the chance.

Babysitting.

He took a long time to respond.

Oh. Are there many kids around?

I sighed. So he didn't like kids. I knew I shouldn't have said anything.