Part 2

“Ever” she heard the deep, gruff voice call after her. I was a voice that sent chills down her spine and made her wants to melt all at once. It was voice of none other than Elfman.

            “I thought I told you to quit calling me that!” She said tipsily turning around to face him.

“Where are you going? The night is young; a real man would stay and hang out!”

            Evergreen groaned. There he goes with that man crap again. Why couldn’t he just see her as what she was? She definitely wasn’t a man. Not that she would ever let anyone know about her desire to be recognized by Elfman, especially not him.

            “Come on Ever, Be a man!”

            As soon as evergreen heard those words she snapped. She walked over to him as best as she could without tripping, and smacked him in the head with her fan.

            “I am a woman, WO-MAN. Not a man!” Evergreen stated getting more flustered the longer she talked to him.

            “Oh come on Ever!” She smacked him again.

“I told you not to call me that!”

“Oh relax Ever come on join this man in a drink.”

“Why on Earth would I do that?”

“Because it’s manly to drink with your friends”

“Stop telling me to be manly!” Evergreen went to hit him again, as she did; she tripped and ended up falling into his arms. He was warm. His scent was musky but not overpowering. For the first time in her life Evergreen felt safe. She felt safe in his arms, and she wanted to stay that way forever.

“Are you alright ever?” Elfman asked pulling evergreen from her thoughts.

“I’m fine” she said pushing away from Elfman and walking tipsily towards the door.

Elfman sighed. “If you're so insistent on going home”, He scooped her up in his arms, “Then the manly thing to do would be to make sure you get there safely.”

“Put me down Elfman.”

“No, you're obviously too drunk to walk safely and the manly thing to do would be to carry you.” He said heading out the door.

“Elfman you don’t have to do this, really I’ll be fine on my own.” Evergreen said slightly blushing.

“Nonsense, it’s unmanly to let a woman go out alone at night anyway.”

 “But you don’t have to carry me, I can walk.”

“Ever please, you were stumbling around at the bar as is.” He said looking down into her eyes,

“Hmph fine, carry me if you wish” She said looking away to the distant sky.

Elfman looked into the sky. “All those Stars up there”

“Yeah, isn’t it beautiful?”

“I would say yes, but that would be so unmanly!”

Elfman having conflicting feelings about being manly? Evergreen giggled at the thought as they made their way to fairy hills, under the bright night sky.