Chapter 32

That night Elizabeth and I sat doing homework in the common room.

"Does Professor Banks always give this much homework?" I asked.

"Yeah, and it gets worse." Elizabeth said. "He only gave us a little because it was your first day."

"This is a little?" I said. "Professor Snape back at Hogwarts is the meanest teacher there, and he gives less homework than this!"

Elizabeth laughed, which made me laugh.

"Well, I'm getting a bit hungry." Elizabeth said. "Why don't we take a break and get a snack from the kitchens."

"And you're sure we won't get caught?" I said.

"I'm positive." She replied. "I do it all the time, and no one's caught me yet."

"Alright," I said. "I'm trusting you Liz."

We both smiled and got up. I set my quill down and we quietly walked out of the dorms.

"It's not after hours yet," Elizabeth said. "but it's close, so we can't draw attention to ourselves."

Students filled the halls as they walked back to their dorms. Elizabeth led me down an empty hall. She led me to a set of metal doors and we quietly walked in.

"Wow," she said. "none of the house elves are in here. They are normally here now to make breakfast for tomorrow."

"Maybe they are starting a bit later tonight." I said. Elizabeth shrugged her shoulders and grabbed some cauldron cakes and treacle tarts, then shoved them into her pockets.

"Grab some and let's go."

I nodded, a smile on my face. I grabbed two treacle tarts and a cauldron cake. I put them in my pocket and we left the kitchens.

We quickly walked up to the Thunderbird tower, laughing the entire way.

We entered the common room to see another boy sitting near our stuff.

"John, what are you doing here?" Elizabeth asked, crossing her arms. "I thought you were mad at me."

"Well I didn't know this was your stuff." The boy said.

"Don't play dumb." Elizabeth said. "You know what stuff is mine, and my name is scattered all over these papers."

"I want to talk to you." John said. "Alone."

"Whatever you have to say to me you can say to Abby."

"I meant I want to talk to her." John said, pointing to me.

"Why?" I asked as my heart started racing. "I've only been here a day. I couldn't have done anything."

"Can I just talk to you?" John said.

I nodded. I looked at Elizabeth who gave a puzzled look. I followed John out of the tower and into the empty halls. We stopped and I looked at him with a look of confusion.

"What do you want with a complete stranger?" I asked, crossing my arms.

"I know who you really are." John said.

My eyes went wide as I pulled him deeper into the empty hall.

"You know who I really am?" I asked.

"Yeah," he responded. "Iris Black."

My heart skipped a beat as I heard a complete stranger tell me who I am.

"How do you know?" I asked.

"My dad works at MCUSA."

"And that is?"

"The Magical Congress of the United States of America." John said. "Anyway, my dad gets everything you in the U.K. get at the Ministry of Magic. He found out that the daughter of Sirius Black, Iris Black, was coming to our school. He told me so I could avoid you."

"I'm not dangerous!" I snapped. "I'm nothing like my father. I bet you don't even believe me."

"Prove it to me that you aren't dangerous."

"And how am I supposed to do that?"

"I don't know, follow me around for a month or something."

"Why would I agree to that?" I said. "I hardly know you."

"Do you want me to go around blabbing to everyone that you're not Abigail Porter and you are Iris Black?"

I froze and thought. Too many people at Hogwarts were finding out, so I had to leave. If too many people here at Ilvermorny find out, I'll have to leave, and I had just made a new friend.

"Fine I'll do it!" I said. "Only if you swear to never tell anyone. The last person I told probably doesn't even remember me."

"So, have you had to keep your identity a secret your entire life?"

"Yes, and the real reason I came to Ilvermorny was because too many people were finding out about who I really was, and my father was getting to close to the school, so the Ministry decided to move me because they didn't want him raiding Hogwarts to come get me."

"Sounds like something your father would do." John mumbled.

"I heard that!" I snapped. "And my father would never do that. He may be accused of being a murderer, but he would want to keep me safe."

"Whatever you want to tell yourself." John said as we started walking back.

"You know I don't care if you think I'm dangerous but I will hurt you."

"Oh thanks."

We walked back to the Thunderbird tower to see Elizabeth packing up.

"There you two are." Elizabeth said. "I was starting to worry you were kidnapped while making out."

"Liz!" John and I said in unison. We looked at each other and shuttered.

"What?" She said. "It always happens in the horror movies."

"We were not making out." John said.

"Yeah, I barely know him, and I'm only thirteen, it's not like I've kissed anyone anyway."

"Nor have I, I don't think anyone has." John said.

"No I think you're wrong." Elizabeth said.

"I swear Liz if you are going on about this again..." John said.

"No!" Elizabeth said. "It's Ami, she's has definitely kissed more than three other guys."

We started laughing as I started cleaning up. I followed Elizabeth up to the dorms and jumped into my bed. I felt something wet fill the pockets of my robes.

"Damn it." I said. "I think I have my treacle tart in my pocket still."

Elizabeth burst out in laughter as I pulled the crushed tart from my pocket.

"Well, it's not completely destroyed." She said. "You could still eat it."

"Oh I'm going to," I said. "as soon as I clean out my pocket."

Elizabeth laughed again.

We talked for the rest of the night, before we both fell asleep because we were so tired.

I was surprised that I was actually enjoying it at Ilvermorny. I still missed Fred, Ron, Harry, Hermione, Neville, Dean, and Seamus, but I loved it here, but I still wanted to go back.