Chapter two

Miranda and I sat together with James sitting next to me and Max sitting next to her

Miranda and I sat together with James sitting next to me and Max sitting next to her. The conversation began to flow easily.

They were both thirty-eight years old and worked as executive producers for a big media company on the better side of town. They were both charming and incredibly funny but I couldn't help but notice the wedding ring that they both wore.

I didn't have the most experience with guys; I had a high school sweetheart called Calvin who was lovely, if not a little nerdy and he had been my first but also my last after he had moved away at the end of high school to join the army.

It was struggle for both of us and I was attached to him in every way shape or form. He was one of the only people who I could honestly say understood every part of me. He loved me unconditionally, supported me and made me a better person, and as cheesy as it sounded, I didn't think I would ever love someone as much as I loved him.

However,  even with my limited experience with guys, I still knew when I was being flirted with, and I wasn't sure how to feel about being flirted with by married men.

Personality-wise, they seemed really nice and I didn't want to accuse them of being overly flirty incase I was wrong and ended up looking like an ass, and Miranda didn't seem to mind.

She was lapping up the conversation, all smiles and giggles, as they talked and ordered us another round of drinks, while I tried to politely put in my input now and again, unsure of how to act.

"How's university going for you, Lilac? Met anyone you like yet?" asked James, turning towards me, as Max and Miranda descended into their own conversation.

"It's really good thank you. I mean, it can be a little stressful, but overall I'm enjoying my classes and can't really complain. As for meeting anyone: unfortunately no, I didn't have the time at the start of the semester," I replied with an honest shrug.

James face lit up into a brilliant smile that made him seem younger, as he said, "Didn't have the time? Now I'm assuming you do, then, so... what do you do for fun?"

James and I got into a easy going conversation that consisted of him asking questions and cracking jokes, while I tried to be as honest as possible with him. He was a little forward but overall didn't seem too bad. But when it got to around eleven pm, Max and James both seemed to be glancing at their watches more than previously.

"Do you have somewhere to go?" I asked curiously, sipping on my fourth cocktail of the night.

"Something like that. I'm really sorry, I hate that I have to run, especially since the conversation with you has been amazing," James sighed, running his hands through his hair .

"Don't worry about it— it's been nice meeting you."

"Likewise, but before I run... would you like to come out with me sometime next week? There's a fundraiser on Thursday at seven pm and I'd love to have you as my date."