Nightmares Ensue

A month into their travels, he and Ally had finally decided to give a relationship a try and Donna demanded another vacation. He had mentioned in passing about the planet Midnight and Donna was set on spending her days in the spa with windows that were fifteen feet thick. The first day there, nothing seemed out of the ordinary; but, by the end of the second day, he was bored. So, on the third day, he asked for them to come along on a trip to see the Sapphire Waterfall but Donna simply refused. However, Ally decided to go with him as she was worried about leaving him alone for so long (it was an eight hour trip).

It was all going really well in the beginning; he had immersed himself in the other passengers' stories and Ally was with him.

Professor Hobbes was giving his lecture on Midnight and how fascinating it was (apparently, there was no life on the planet). Ally had turned to him and said, "But, how does he know that?"

The room had been quiet when she had said this so she had received a few curious glances, "How do you mean?" this question came from the boy sitting behind them – Jethro was his name.

"Well, I mean; if no one can go outside, how do you know there isn't any life out there? The universe works in mysterious ways and I, for one, wonder if that assumption is accurate." She blushed at her observation but looked around at the other passengers, "We look at this planet through glass thicker than we are tall and can never set foot outside because we would die; but, who's to say some other creature can't exist out there; who's to say that the air out there – which could kill us – isn't a source of life for someone, or something, else?"

Her quarry had started up an argument between the other passengers, some on the side that she was right and the rest saying she was wrong, and he could only look at her in amazement. She had asked the right questions – she usually always did – but she had even made himself believe that she was right. Never before had he thought that there was life out there in all of that radiation; but, when stated the way she had put it, he wondered if he had been wrong in assuming just like the others.

During this time, the bus had stopped moving which caused a slight panic in the passengers as well as stewardess. He kissed Ally on the top of her head and then made his way to the cockpit where he hoped he would get some answers. Only, it just gave him more unanswered questions. When he came back out, that's when things really got interesting: the knocking started.

Turning to Ally in surprise, he could tell she was terrified but determined all the same, "I suppose your hypothesis about life on this planet has just been proven correct."

"You think now is really the time to congratulate me on my thinking skills?" She got out of her seat and calmly asked everyone to sit down, "Please, just listen to me; whatever is out there."

"But there can't be anything out there; nothing could survive out there," Professor Hobbes exclaimed.

"Well, obviously something does," she had said it much more politely than he would have, that's for sure. "Now, as I was saying; whatever is out there wants to come in and I have a really bad feeling about letting it in. So, if you could all just stay calm, it might leave us alone."

Only, it got worse. The driver and the mechanic had been disposed of already. The knocking continued right over Mrs. Silvestry as she was the one freaking out. She backed herself into a corner and he tried to protect her but the bus shook and they were all thrown about. When he finally stood up, Ally was already over by Mrs. Silvestry checking her vital signs.

She looked up at him, "All seems normal but she isn't moving." She shook her head, "She doesn't seem to register her name and her eyes," she stopped for a second and once again, she shook her head, "she's watching me like I'm a great study." She looked up at him, "I don't like this, John; I don't like this at all."