Edmund Pevensie

He was a king. You were a servant. And you were in love with him.

You scoffed at yourself as you put away books in the royal library. You feel like you walked off the pages of one of Queen Lucy's romance books. Despite being good friends with the royal family, you were below them and it had to be that way. What kind of leaders would they be to converse and welcome a peasant into their lives like an old friend?

You wished more than anything to forget rank and be with Pevensies as part of their family. Through Edmond of course.

You picked up another stack of books needing to be put away, letting out a small grunt from the weight. Edmond stood at the doorway, smiling as he watched you struggle. He made the mistake of letting out a chuckle, startling you though you did well to hide it.

"Still my beating heart. The Just King is watching me put away his mess of books. How ever did I get lucky?" You kept your gaze on the books in your arms, biting your lip as you tried to balance them as you reached up to put a big book away.

Edmond pushed off the doorframe, sauntering over to you, taking a few books off the top of your stack. "Didn't I tell you once to not wear that dress, it's quite distracting."

You glanced at the King, his handsome face smirking down at you. You couldn't help but blush, turning back to your work. "Forgive me, My Lord, it was all I had what with my clothes getting washed today." You cringed at yourself. You did not just tell the king about the state of your laundry. How humiliating.

The two of you always felt comfortable in each others presence, having run into each other often. It wasn't until one day you had it with the brunette king and his proclivity to leave his books strewn about the library, making your job somewhat harder. You let him have it and he just smiled at you loving how you treated him like anyone else.

But it wasn't until recently that the younger brother realized your distance from him and sudden use of formalities. He yearned for the old you again.

Edmond let out another chuckle. "It's Edmond, remember?" He pointed to himself with a book and a pointed look before placing the book back where it belonged. "It's just us."

You spared him a glance. You tightened the grip on the last book in your hands, taking measured even breaths. "Edmond. My Lord. I can't just-" you let out a breath looking to the ground, "I fear if I become too familiar with you, or any of your siblings, I will forget myself and my place here."

There. You said it. Sort of.

You keep your eyes downcast as you hear the sound of a book sliding into place. Your cheeks reddened as the silence between you two grew and you started to regret your words. Perhaps he didn't read into it too much and just let it go like he did your comment about your laundry.

Edmond definitely understood. And he agreed with you. But being king have him special privilege to do and say as he wished. To see and be with whom he wished.

You felt a gentle hand reach under your chin and bring your eyes to meet Edmond's. His dark eyes searched yours as he took a step forward, taking the book out of your hand and placing it on the bookshelf. The book was replaced with his hand in yours. You held your breath as you watched him lean close, your noses almost touching.

"Maybe I want you to forget yourself. I forget I'm a king when I'm around you. I feel normal. A man with a beautiful, bright woman."

Your heart flipped. It was like a dream, but his breath on your cheek and the smell of his soap reminded you how real it was. All those times you flirted, all those sneaked glances, all those conversations in this very library. Perhaps it all meant something to him as it did to you. Your eyes never left his as you let out a breath and swallowed nervously.

"But I am an orphaned peasant with nothing to my name." Your voice was quiet.

Edmond smiled, his eyes darting between your lips and your eyes. "I hope to convince you otherwise." He was dangerously close now.

You searched his face, trying to find the lie. But there wasn't one. Perhaps dreams really do come true. No words passed between you but the comfortable silence was deafening and thick with romantic tension. Edmond couldn't take it anymore. Slowly, as if seeing your permission he leaned in, pressing his lips lightly to yours. When you didn't protest he deepened the kiss, making your knees weak and your heart soar.

King Edmond held you in his arms, kissing you like he had wanted to do since the day you first complained about his mess of books. And he planned on kissing you far more often in the future.