Chapter 2: Change.

Riley's POV
I woke up to Maya quietly snoring in my arms. Aww. I decided to let her sleep in for a bit since she was up last night and went to the bathroom to brush my teeth and change into my clothes. I walked out of the bathroom and walked into my room seeing that Maya already woke up.

She was sitting down, with her bed head and a groggy look on her face, staring into blank space. And she still looked gorgeous. But that look on her face made me worried. I went over to the Bay Window and patted for Maya to sit down because I needed to talk to her. I've always hated seeing Maya upset. She came over and sat next to me, distancing herself a little, I knew she was. I scooted closer to her to show that I knew something was up.

"Maya, you're okay right? It's over, we can go back to normal life now. There will just be another storyline and we'll just forget this ever happened like we always do.", I said. But I knew it wasn't true. Something was different. I felt different. About who? About Maya? Why Maya, what would change how I feel about her? And then something else popped into my mind. Lucas. Did we break up? Are we back together? Do I want to her back together with him?

And just like Maya read my mind, she said ,"No Riley, something's different."

Then she paused for a second before asking,"Are you and Lucas still together?"

I sigh,"Maya I don't know anymore. Why does everything feel so different. Nothing even happened! So why does it feel like everything's changing!"

"Me neither Riles... Wait why aren't you sure about you and Luc-", she began to say before my mom barged in the door and said,"Get up girls! Breakfast is ready! Maya, why aren't you dressed yet? Hurry, you're going to be late!"

I was usually upset when people interrupted me and Maya's talks at the bay window but this time, I was glad. I wasn't ready to answer Maya's question, I don't know about how I feel about Lucas anymore. Nothing happened, why am I suddenly confused about my feelings if NOTHING EVEN HAPPENED.

Maya went to the bathroom to get ready while I walked over to the table and said good morning to everyone. As my mom placed a plate of pancakes in front of me. I thought about what was happening while I picked around my food taking small bites once in awhile.

"Riley, are you okay? I was hoping you would be more exited because I don't usually make pancakes for breakfast.", my mom asked.

"Oh yeah. Thanks for the pancakes mom. I just feeling a little sick that's all. You only make pancakes on special occasions, why today?", I said. "Well, because we made a decision on the London offer, and i'm hoping I made the right decision. Did I?", my mom said, sounding concerned.

"Of course you did honey, you always do.", my dad said after taking a bite of his pancake. "Yeah! Now I get to stay with Ava!", Auggie cheered. "And I get to stay with Maya and all my friends.", I smiled. "Good", my mom said.

Maya walked into the room,"Good Morning Mathews. Aww Ms. Mathews, you made pancakes. Thanks." "Welcome.", my mom smiled. After a few minutes I looked over at Maya and she was picking at her food.

"Okay. Maya and Riley, what's up with you two? Did anything happen?", my mom said sternly. I was tired of this so I stood up and said,"Yeah mom everything's great, we're great. Maya, you ready to go?" And just on time, someone buzzed in,"It's Farkle. And Zay. And Smackle. And Lucas." I began to smile hearing the names of my friends. But my smile faded when I heard Lucas. What would I say to him if he asked about us?

I think my mom noticed this and asked,"Okay you two, I know something's up now. Did Lucas do anything?" I gave up and just told them,"Something changed and i'm confused." I turned to look at Maya, her looking into blank space again. I wonder what she's thinking about. "And Maya? What's up with you?", my dad asked.

She turned, looking kind of shocked and said,"Something changed." "What did?", my dad began to say as the speaker buzzed again,"Um hello? We're still here are you guys there?", I heard Farkle's voice.

I walked up fast and buzzed them in. "Bye mom. See you at school dad",I said blankly to my parents, grabbed Maya's arm, and walked out the door following my friends.
I thought back to that conversation. Why was Maya confused. What changed for her? I know my feelings for Lucas changed but what happened to Maya?