Chapter 1

"Once, there was only the ocean, it's waves calm and peaceful, then Akamu rose up from the waters and with his mighty heart he created islands full of life, then when he was pleased he laid down and became the great island, many forces have tried to take Akamu's heart to use but all have failed...that is until one day, the most skilled, the most daring, the most brave of them all attempted the great journey to claim Akamu's heart, she was brave, she was a demi god of the wind and sea, she had the ability to shape shift, and she was determined, but she was also blinded to the great harm she was doing, her name is, Alani...and she is the first being to ever steal the heart of Akamu, but as she was fleeing the island a great horror was born named, Keahi a being of lava and rock who attacked Alani, and after that Alani was never seen again" Says grandfather Kanoa, his voice deep with fear and uncertainty. I look behind me to see all the other kids huddling together with fear, I raise my hand as a question pops into my mind.

"Yes Mano?" Asks Kanoa kindly as he looks down upon me his beard only just touching the ground in front of me.

"What happened to the heart?" I ask worried about the heart while the other kids run off to play in the grass.

"Well Mano, nobody knows what happened to the heart-" Says Kanoa but I cut him off, not really noticing that I was being rude because I was only 8.

"Yes, but won't Alani know? She's the one that took it, so she must have the heart" I say stubbornly as I begin to get annoyed with this Alani girl.

"Mano, don't blame Alani for what happened to the heart, she is a good person, you must remember she is only young" Says Kanoa but I had already made up my mind that Alani must be a very bad person.

"Alright father, enough with the stories, Mano it's time for you to head down to the ocean but stay out of trouble" Says my father the chief as he stands proudly beside Kanoa.

"Yes father" I say and run off down to the ocean as fast as I can. I run over to the fishermen who had returned from the reef and greeted them kindly.

"Hello Mano, are you here to help us?" asks one of the fishermen as he hauls a big net of fish off his canoe.

"Yes, but I must stay out of trouble" I reply as I climb into the man's canoe and sit down on the seat.

"Well I guess you can help, just put the fish into this basket while I go and help the others as they make their way back from the reef" says the fisherman as he places a large basket in front of me.

"Ok" I say and then get up out of the canoe and grab a fish from the net and place it into the basket, "This isn't so hard" I say happily as I reach for another, I grab the fish but it slips out of my hands and I fall backwards, I brace myself for the impact but it doesn't come...

I slowly creak my eyes open and look behind me but what I saw next was unbelievable, the water had caught me...

"W-what the" I say in shock and then the water slowly lowered me down onto the sand and then retreated back into the ocean. I quickly get to my feet and back away from the water. I gaze at the water as it's calm waves come into the beach and slowly crashing onto the sand. Then a bit of water rises higher than the rest and it moves as though it's, nodding? I slowly wave back at the water awkwardly.

"Hey Mano, it's time to go back to the village" Calls my father from the trees, and at the sound of his voice the wave disappeared in an instant. I turn back to look at the ocean before running off into the trees to join my father.