Assemblies

Why does it seem to always be raining at funerals? Maybe the universe is shedding tears for the recently departed. The ancient Greeks believed that whenever there was bad weather, Zeus was angry or upset. 

I look at the window, covered in water droplets. I'd like to think the gods themselves were crying for someone so seemingly insignificant in this world. He would have liked that. Miran's deep dark secret was that he wanted recognition. In the end maybe his dream did come true. He was the face of the news and almost everyone in our town had heard of him. I hope that somehow he knows. The idea of his smile when he sees his picture on the main news story makes me just a little less sad. 

  ______________________  

Going back to school is going to be hell. All of the people that have always avoided me will pretend to be my best friend. 

'Oh my god it's just terrible. You must be so sad.'

Meeting with the school therapist as my mom requested. 

'So how do you feel?'

And his empty seat next to me. Like some kind of representation of the void created by his death. I can just imagine its presence mocking me. 

'You let him die.' 

  ______________________  

When I walk in I'm confronted with his beaming face. It's a poster advertising the obligatory assembly after school that's in his honor.  I have to look away. 

  ______________________    

"You know Thea, the only good thing about assemblies is that we're missing class. Otherwise there's just no appeal to sitting in a stuffy room with uncomfortable seats."

"You do make a good point Miran."