FOUR: Hospital

It took Dawn a few seconds to remember where she was -- a private room in the hospital, where she has been confined for two days. The hours had been a blur, with a throng of visitors that she wasn't able to entertain because she was just so tired that she could only communicate with weak smiles (if they were even lucky to see her awake). 

Her back propped up slightly with a couple of pillows, she looked down at her left hand and was a bit relieved, remembering that the nurse took the IV drip off that morning. The only "accessory" that remained was the ring that Richard gave her. 

She sighed and looked to her right. "Ma --" 

She found a different "Mama" seated on the couch -- Richard's grandmother, Lydia. 

"O, hija, salamat naman," the old lady said, putting her embroidery project on the side. She walked over to Dawn and sat on the chair by her bedside. "It's a good thing you're awake. Richard just went out, bibili daw ng pagkain dahil alam niyang magigising ka na." 

"N... nandito po si Richard?" she asked, her voice still hinting of weakness. 

"Oo naman, we've been here since lunch." She could see how that baffled Dawn. "Bakit, hija? 'Di ba si Richard ang nagdala sa'yo dito?" 

She was barely able to remember how she ended up in the hospital and who took her there. Instead, parts of the past two days flashed inside her head: Richard's wristwatch beside her hand, the slight chill from a wet face towel rubbed gently on her arms and her neck, his voice seemingly distant. 

Dawn looked at her boyfriend's grandmother, who understood the look on her face. "Naku, hija, maybe you can't remember sa sobrang pagod." Lydia held her hand. "Richard said na-overfatigue ka raw. Napagalitan ko nga, sabi ko baka hindi ka inaalagaan." 

"Ang mommy ko po?" Dawn tried to sit up and the head rush made her wince. 

"Don't force yourself, anak, at baka mabinat ka." Lydia gently pushed her back on the pillow. "Richard urged her to go home and get some rest. Lovely woman, looks just like you. I had to assure her a few times that I will watch over you habang wala siya." 

"Nakakahiya naman po." 

"Naku, I'm bored at home din naman... At saka Richard needed my help with you daw." 

"With me?" 

Lydia smiled. "You haven't spoken to him in a week, and you didn't want to see him..." 

Dawn looked down and started playing with her fingers. "It doesn't seem to matter naman po sa kaniya whether I do or don't... I mean, I understand that he's busy..." 

"You want him to go with you to the States to visit your father." 

She nodded. "I was supposed to fly there... on the 27th." 

"Today." Dawn looked up and Lydia held her hand. "It's the 27th na, hija." 

"Over the past two months, he's been telling me that he's busy, that he won't be able to make it kasi marami siyang ginagawa... pero lagi naman po siyang nasa party ng mga kaibigan niya. 

"Sila, isang tawag lang, napagbibigyan niya... I'm close to begging. Pero lately kapag gusto kong pag-usapan, umiiwas siya. Para namang hindi niya alam how important this is to me." 

"Well, maybe he isn't ready yet." 

"We've been together for more than a year. He's already met my mom." 

"Fathers are different. You know men. They have their... own ways in dealing with each other." The old lady went on to talk about Richard's own lolo, her husband, when he first met her father ---- how he looked like he wanted to back out, how stiff he suddenly was, how he left that night without saying goodbye to her because her father was around. 

Lydia squeezed Dawn's hand. "I think Richard is scared that your father won't like him, and because he knows how much you love your dad, he's afraid that if he doesn't get the approval, then that would make you love him less... A father's reaction can play quite a hand in the relationship. Lalo na ikaw, unica hija ka -- I'm sure it matters... 

"Hija, you know, oftentimes love demands a certain brand of patience... Hindi naman lahat ng problema, nadadaan sa silent treatment. Lalo na diyan kay Richard, na sadyang silent din naman, na hangga't hindi kausapin eh medyo clueless kumbaga... 

"Ako na ang nakikiusap sa'yo, to give him time. I'm sure he'll come around. Lalo na't mahal na mahal ka niya." 

"S... sinabi niya po sa inyo 'yon?" 

"Naku, ang ngiti niyan kapag ikaw ang ikinukuwento! At ang lungkot naman niya ever since naisugod ka dito..." 

Dawn smiled and as she was about to answer, they heard the nurse saying, "Sir, kanina ka pa nakatayo diyan? Naka --" The door swung open. "Hindi naman po pala naka-lock eh." 

Richard went inside, closing the door with his elbow, a paper bag in one hand and a bouquet of flowers in another. It was his first time in the past two days to see Dawn conscious and hear her talk. He made a mental note to thank his Mama Lydia later. 

His grandmother took the paper bag and brought out its contents, which included a plastic container with lugaw. She chatted away in her sweet, soft voice, trying to lighten up the mood for the lovers, who she could tell were still feeling a bit awkward around one another. 

Richard sat on the edge of the bed, placed the bouquet on her lap, and leaned forward to kiss her forehead. "Did you sleep okay?" She nodded. "The doctor said you should start eating, mostly soups and lugaw, dahil nga wala na 'yung IV mo..." 

"Naku, Dawn, I will make mushroom soup for you tomorrow," Lydia said and Dawn smiled. 

Richard took her hand into his. "Magpagaling ka na para mabisita na natin ang daddy mo, ha? Tinawagan namin siya ng mommy mo kanina and he --" 

"Y... you called my dad?" 

"He's worried about you. I told him your condition is improving naman, and if we follow the doctor's orders, you should be out of here by the end of the week." 

"You talked to my dad." 

He smiled, and she could see the dark circles under his eyes. "I told him we'll come visit when you're better, kaya magpagaling ka na..." He kissed her softly and pressed his forehead against hers. "Saka 'wag mo na akong tatakutin nang ganu'n ha? For a moment, I thought I was going to lose you." #