Chapter 30

"911, what's your emergency?", a voice answered through the phone. The adrenaline that ran through my veins numbed the pain of my broken arm. I searched for street signs to tell me the location but there were none.

"Hello?", the voice echoed in my ear. "Is anyone there?" I was in shock and lightning struck loudly, snapping me out of it.

"Uh...yeah.", I stuttered, "I'm here."

"What is your emergency?", the voice demanded. I looked around as if to make sure that this was real this time.

"There's been a crash.", I replied, breathing heavily. There was glass sprinkled everywhere and the rain made it sparkle. The man was still but I could see his chest going up and down as he breathed.

"Hello?", the voice repeated and I realized that she was asking me questions the whole time. "I said, where is your location?"

I paused. "I don't know.", I groaned with frustration. My eyes drew to he man's head and a crimson puddle poured out of it steadily. "Shit!", I shouted. "He's bleeding."

"Who's bleeding?", the voice asked. I ignored it, removing my shirt to place it under the man's bleeding head. The blood soaked as black into my red shirt but still dripped onto the glittering asphalt.

"Sir,", the voice demanded. "Are you injured?" I answered instantly and my voice sounded angry.

"No!", I yelled, hurrying back towards the car at the shoulder. The kids were still unconcious and I didn't know what to do. The thunder cracked and the rain fell harder, stinging my arm. I tried the handle one more time but there was no give.

"We are sending emergency vehicles sir.", the voice said. I grabbed the phone which I was holding between my head and my shoulder and slammed it shut, throwing it to the ground in anger.

I had to get in the car. I had to get them out. But how?