Chapter 38

I trailed behind Matt as he darted down the street, brushing shoulders as he dodged pedestrians. Matt finally stopped in front of a shop , took a deep breath and went in.

He came out several minutes later with his hood up and his hands tucked into his sweatshirt pocket. He rushed around corners, recklessly crossing in front of cars as he headed back towards the school.

The cars halted abruptly in front of him, honking their horns, and it reminded me of the car accident.

I followed Matt as he passed the tall structure of the school and slid down an alley tucked in behind it. The alley was covered in graffiti and seemed strangely darker than the rest of the city.

Matt paused in the middle of the alley and cautiously removed his hood, keeping one hand in his pocket. He removed his hand from his pocket revealing a gun which he gripped tightly, his hand trembling in fear.

"Matt.", I tried to say as I stepped towards him with caution. He examined the gun intently and placed a shaking finger on the trigger.

"Matt, what are you doing?", I asked, begging my voice to be heard. Matt carefully extended his arm until the gun was pressed against the side of his head and I noticed the stream of tears that streamed from his eyes and down his neck.

"Matt. Don't do this.", I screamed determined for Matt to hear me. He didn't. I inched closer to him and reached for the gun but my hand went through it.

"Fuck.", I thought, frustrated.

Matt squeezed his eyes shut and I ducked down, preparing for the blow. The gun made a click and...

Footsteps sounded from behind me and I spun around, and who I saw was the last person I would ever expect to see in this dark alley with me and the bully with the gun to his head.

"Seth.", I breathed. Maybe he could stop Matt from doing this. "Seth?", I asked, noticing him freeze in his place and look up in shock. For a second I thought he could see me but he wasn't looking at me, he was looking past me.

I jerked around and was faced with Matt, gun in his hand. But instead of the gun held to his head, it was pointed at Seth.