•Chapter 2•

School. What else can I say about it? I really hate how everyone automatically assumes that because I'm good at school, I like it.

I'm a teenager, or a normal human being for that matter, too.

Everyday is the same. Get to school, go to class, see people I really don't care about, and go home. I'm not a total loser, though. Skylar and Daniella are my two best friends.

We're all different and I think that makes us a great pair. Skylar is a cheerleader and gorgeous. Daniella is a tennis player and there's me, the geek.

They're the only ones who know about Jordan. I know I can trust them. Mainly because whenever Maddison Morrison approaches me, they go all "wearwolf mode".

Maddison Morrison is the most popular girl in school. Believe it or not, she used to be my best friend all through elementary and middle school. She is also an ex-girlfriend of Jordan's.

The three of us were the original trio, and we were actually popular, too. It felt good to be friends with the star football player and head cheerleader. Then, Jordan and Maddison started dating, and in the flip of a switch, I was a third wheel.

Flash forward to freshman year, Maddison and Jordan were still dating and left me to sit with their new friends. Maddison and I still talked at the beginning of the year but then she stopped talking to me completely.

Then sophomore year, she started criticizing me and just plain bothering me. No matter what, she wouldn't stop. Well, I shouldn't say that.

By this time, Maddison had broken up with Jordan for Andrew Flemming, another football player. For some reason, Jordan felt that he had to protect me. If Jordan was watching, that's when Maddison wasn't being a bitch. If he wasn't, she would bitch on and on.

Bring in Skylar and Daniella, who aren't afraid to start catfights with anyone. So it was only fair that they would be my best friends.

"Sky! Dani! Wait up!" I call out as I see them walking into the entrance of the school.

"Hey Mal," Skylar says as I reach them, "how's Jordan?"

Daniella chuckles.

"Not funny," I mutter, "and not so loud!"

The both start laughing their heads off.

"Let's go," I say, pulling them by their arms. We walk into school and almost immediately, something catches my eye. Maddison and Jordan making out at the end of the hallway.

I'm so shocked I stop in my tracks. Skylar and Daniella look over at me. After a few deep breaths spent looking at the ground, I raise my head and start walking to my locker.

Fortunately, for me, it was at the very end. So I walked over to my locker and try to avoid any contact with them, who now looked like they could eat each other. Congrats on your new girlfriend, Jordan. I thought.

As I maneuver around them and start opening my locker, I hear Maddison's bitchy voice.

"Oh, hey Malia," She says, "didn't see you there! How's life?"

"Actually it's-"

"Sorry! I'm..a little busy, if you didn't notice."

"Don't worry... I noticed."

"What as that?!"

"Never mind, I'm a little busy, if you didn't notice." I finally shut my locker and walk away, feeling triumphant.

I walk into Chemistry and sit at the table Daniella, Skylar, and I share.

"Hey!" Skylar says with a cheeky smile, " how'd it go?" She and Daniella look at each other and start cracking up.

"It was fine..." my voice trails off, thinking about the events that just unfolded.

I take my seat and class begins.
•••
It's the end of the day, and I'm at my car. I'm about to unlock it when I hear someone calling my name.

"Mal! Hey, Mal!" I turn around and see Jordan running towards me, almost getting run over by a black Jeep.

He gets to me, not a drop of sweat or heavy breathing coming from him.

"It's Malia to you," I scowl and roll my eyes.

"Woah, what was that for?" he asks, confused.

"Nothing,"

"Wait. Is it because Maddison and I are dating again?"

"No, of course not,"

"Because, if it bothers you, you can tell me, you know,"

"Why would it bother me?"

"I dunno. It's just, we used to all be best friends, and we just kinda left you in the dark. And I know it-"

"Look, um... it was so nice talking to you, but we don't talk anymore. You have your life and I have mine. As much as I want to be friends with you again, you threw that chance away long ago, and now the chance is gone," I interrupt, out of breathe.

He responds, "oh, well I'm sorry. I never ever meant to make you feel that way. If you'd just give me-"

"Sorry, Jordan, I really have to go." I hop into my car and quickly drive away.

Jordan's POV
I kind of felt bad because of what happened with Malia. I never meant for her to see Maddison and I together.

I always had a feeling she never really liked Maddison and I but it was never my priority...before.

I don't know when I realized that I liked-loved, Malia. She was always more of a confidant, my best friend. I never realized that I would think of her that way, but now all I could think about was...her.

To be honest, I didn't ever realize that I was hurting her. But today, man she really made me realize all that I had done.

I've never had a girl shut me down that quick, well, shut me down at all. So, I didn't know what to do when she drove away with the words still in my mouth.

Now, I was wishing I would have gotten in to my car and chase after her. But, that's me, always getting a window of opportunity and watching it stay open and then close and not to absolutely ANYTHING.

So, I did the best that I could do. I hoped into my car and started to drive.

At first, I started toward my house, but then I realized that I had some time. And where does Malia go when something disappoints her? Carly's.

I quickly made a U-turn and started for Carly's.