Chapter 1

As a sailor, you are known to be brave, courageous, and adventurous. Never once have heard of a sailor afraid of the sea. Afraid to even look at the water itself. Now that's a sailor no one has heard of. He's not big, muscly or tattooed. He doesn't need an eyepatch after a battle with a squid. His name has never been spread. His story had never been heard. But that is why I'm here, to tell the stories of one certain boy who's never been remembered.

Dante was only fourteen when he was abandoned and sold. As an infant born in Britain, he was sold off in a slave trade. He was raised by other slaves, who would come and go, until he turned six, where he was sold off to a man by the name of Aesop Ramsey. Ramsey threw him out within a week, so Dante was sold repeatedly. Over the years, he started to become more useful, but he was still weak to be sufficient slave. Finally, one day, while he was sitting at his current owner's side while they were at the market, a man passed by multiple times, a look of interest on his face. That's where I'm going to have to let this story run free.

Dante was sitting by his owner, a man in his late 30's, at the market. His feet hurt from sharp stones that jabbed his feet as he walked and blisters that didn't seem to go away. He finally saw an advantage to sit down as his owner argued with a salesman. He shivered in his rags and hugged himself. It always became cold in the fall which Dante hated. As he sat, he couldn't help but notice a man who kept walking back and forward, staring at the teenager. Dante wanted to stand and run, but he knew if he ran, his master would put him back in chains. It wasn't until the stranger started to approach, Dante stood to run. The sudden burst drew his master's attention, he turned and glared a little at the stranger, in which the man smiled back.

He was tall, taller than Dante at the most. Muscular, with a defined jawline, there were maidens who would swoon at a glance. His smile was big and sparkling. His blonde hair was tied into a ponytail. As he spoke, his voice was independent and strong, "How much for the slave?"

Dante's master sputtered, "He's not for sale. He's my wife's."

With a laugh, the man stepped forward, "I forgot to introduce myself, my name is captain Vitus," he takes off his hat and bows, "I'm from the west."

"Captain, eh?" said Dante's master as the stranger straightened, "So what are you doing in England?"

"I heard Britain had a slave population. So, I've come to collect a crew to sail with me." Vitus grinned, "and your boy seems to fit some of my standards."

Dante's eyes widened with surprise. As he opened his mouth to speak, he was interrupted by a belly laugh from his owner. "Dante?! Why, this brat is lazy and weak! Can't even make good food! And look at him! Dirty and looking like a woman with that long hair!" This made Dante look down at himself. Scrapped up, muddy, and his shoulder length blonde hair looked brown from being so dirty.

"Nonsense! He is perfect!"

"Well, like I said before, he is not for sale. He's my wife's and he takes care of the brats. The only thing he's useful for is-"

Vitus used his hand to cut him off before reaching to his side and pulled out a small bag of coins. "This much money is worth at least two shiploads of tobacco. Now tell me, is he still not for sale?"

Master looked up and took the gold eagerly, looking inside before pulling Dante harshly to his feet. "Well Dante! Today's your lucky day!" He shoved him to Vitus where he fell right at his feet. "He's all yours." And with that, his owner pocketed the money and ran off.

"Well aren't you a skinny one." Vitus said, helping Dante to his feet. "You're just skin and bone! Doesn't that fat lunatic feed ya'?"

Dante was surprised, he was never really talked to, his mouth forgot how to form words. He stutter but finally forced out a single word. "N-No," he stuttered. Vitus smiled and put a hand on the teens shoulder.

"Come on, lets get you cleaned up and fed. We'll get you some new clothes while we're at it. You look freezing in those rags." He began to walk and the teen followed.

They walked all throughout the market until Vitus finally gave up trying to find anymore men and they turned around. Vitus lead Dante to a large house, leading him inside. Women gathered around, smiling and greeting the old sailor. They took his coat and ran off. Dante looked around. They were in a room where the kitchen and washing room were conjoined. The air smelt like roasts, vegetables and soap. Two young women were near a bucket, peeling potatoes and three more were cutting carrots. A young girl, around twelve, was taking a fresh loaf of bread out of the oven. Dante looked around, confused at what was going on.

Vitus looked over his shoulder and smiled. "Dante, welcome to the Pink Ladies! A close friend lets me stay here along with these fine ladies. Ladies," he turned back towards the women and put his hand back on Dante's shoulder, "This is Dante, he will be staying with the rest of the boys tonight!"

The women gathered around and one reached and touched his face. It was the girl that had taken out the bread. She was pale and skinny, big blue eyes filled with glittering wonder. "So pale... So skinny... very refined...." Another woman smacked her hand away.

"Elizabeta! Do not touch without asking!" the old woman looked back at Dante and smiled sweetly. She had to be with her 70s. Her hair was gray and her skin wrinkled. "I've sorry young one, she is very naive. Shall I escort you to your room?"

Dante nodded slowly and Vitus smiled, "Go ahead Mierium, I'll be up soon to help him wash up, but for now, take hi to meet the other lads. I need to talk to Sasha for a little bit."

The woman nodded and lead Dante upstairs, leading him down the hall and stopping in front of a big door. she opened it up and revealed a bedroom with six bed. On one was a kid, about sixteen, talking to anther kid from across the room. There were two twin boys, maybe around 9, that were playing with each other, pushing each other and giggling. One last kid was sitting in the corner, talking to himself. Each persons skin was a different shade of brown, dark to light. Everyone quieted down and looked over at Dante, staring. Mierium cleared her throat, "Everyone, this is Dante, he will be joining you tomorrow for you journey. I expect you to treat him nicely and please introduce yourselves. Now,I must go finish dinner, Dante?" Dante looked at her quickly, "Vitus will join you soon." Then she walked off, closing the door.

Dante gulped and turned to the others, the oldest ones glared at him, one even growling. "Well look what we have here..." One grumbles.