Chapter 1

"Dr. Wells!" A woman from the back of the lab yells. She was wearing a white lab coat over a short dress, and heels on her feet. She had gotten an alert on her phone and had run over to her computer just as the building begins to shake. Everyone else ignored it, and continued to celebrate. Dr. Wells runs over to her, and leans in next to her ear, looking over her shoulder. "Sir, there's something wrong in the Particle Accelerator. It looks like a piece is missing!" She shows him her scans of the Accelerator. There looked to be something missing from the schematics. Another shake of the lab.

"How is that possible!" Dr. Wells says, gripping the back of her chair tighter.

"I don't-" She cut off by a tremendous tremor, and Dr. Wells stumbles backwards, away from her.

"HARRISON!" She yells, standing up and reaching out. A chunk of the roof collapses, opening the small glass room to the cloudy sky, and cutting her off from Harrison. She looks up, the rain getting in her eyes, and sees the sky go dark for a moment, before the orange, blue, and purple dark matter spread across the sky and taint the dark clouds with orange. The place shakes again, and she sees a bright flash, feels something rippling down her body, and everything goes black, the last thing she sees is her dead mother, holding a hand out, a small smile on her face, when everything disappears.

✩ϟ✩ϟ✩ϟ✩ϟ✩ϟ✩ϟ✩ϟ✩ϟ✩ϟ✩ϟ✩ϟ✩ϟ✩ϟ✩ϟ✩ϟ✩ϟ✩ϟ✩ϟ✩ϟ✩ϟ✩ϟ✩ϟ✩ϟ✩ϟ✩ϟ✩ϟ✩ϟ✩ϟ✩

She blinks awake, the bright light making her squint and want to close her eyes again, but she had to stay awake, she had to find Harrison. She sits up, rubbing the sleep from her eyes, when she looks down and sees the IV in her arm, the bruise from where it was piercing her skin. She takes it out and takes the pads off her arms, chest, and legs, letting them fall to the floor. She moves the blankets away and sits on the edge of the bed, grabbing the cloth, her new muscles flexing. Her eyes open wide as she realises something. Harrison! She moves to stand on her legs, but collapses on the on the ground, her clothed legs making a loud bang on the tiled floor, and she sits there for a moment, wrapping her arms around her midsection. Wearing only a sports-bra, her cold arms felt calming on her warm stomach, but she removed them, and grabbed onto a table that was next to her bed, and hoisted herself up, limping out of the glass room, and into the cortex, the roof fixed and the stars no longer visible. She looks around and sees no one in the Cortex, save for a man lying on a hospital bed. He had light brown hair and pale skin, a stark contrast to hers. She begins to walk over to him when she hears a voice that she hadn't heard in a long time.

"Samantha." Turning around she sees Harrison, in a wheelchair.

"Harrison." Samantha runs over to the man and gets down on her knees in front of him. "What's going on? What happened?"

"The Particle Accelerator. It exploded. It seemed that piece that was missing was vital to the production of the Accelerator." Wells places a hand on the back of her head, running his hands through her now grey hair. He moves it out of the way, to reveal a long white scar, running down her arm, and up her neck. "Everything seemed to heal. Except that." Samantha grabs his hand with her left, and lets it rest on her neck, sending shivers down her spine. "Turn around." She does as commanded. He traces his finger down a particular nasty scar, that seemed to almost spiderweb out, wrapping around her bodice like ivy tendrils. She looks at him over her shoulder.

"What happened to you?" She asks, relishing the feeling of his fingers dancing across her dark skin. She turns around, but Harrison's hands don't move from her waist. His hands rest on her hips, pulling her closer.

"It seems my legs were injured. I am unable to move for the time being." Samantha tilts her head.

"For the time being? Are you trying to find a cure?" Harrison laughs at this, but the humour that once resided there, is now gone.