Chapter 8: Lily

The salty aroma filled the air as the boat docked on Cairnholm's port.

"Finally." I said, as I clenched my stomach.

"Yup. Lesson learned: never ride with someone who's seasick." 

"Whatever, Jacob."

"Just saying." Jacob said as he held his hands up in surrender.

"Come on. We've got to get to the hotel." As Jacob and I walked side-by-side on Cairnholm's muddy gravel streets, I looked around to find where our supposed hotel might be.

"Do you know where we could find the Priest Hole?" I heard Jacob ask a man in his mid-thirties.

"You tourists?" The man said with a heavy accent while pointing a finger at both of us. Obviously. Who would be asking such questions if everyone in this small town might already know each other? I kept the thought in my head and simply nodded. He then started pointing out directions to where this hotel might be, hiding between the old buildings and houses. Jacob thanked him and we started walking again.

"What kind of name is that? Priest Hole?" I asked, laughing.

"Well, it's the only hotel that they have here. I'm not even sure if it's a hotel, noticing that every building here looks old and some are even in ruins."

"Yup. Can't help but notice that too." After minutes of talking and walking, we finally reached our so called 'hotel'. Judging from the look of the place, it's not going to be a 5 star experience. I looked at Jacob, who's probably thinking the same thought as I am, looking a bit confused. I raised an eyebrow at him and gave me a shrug. We squeezed ourselves with our  bags through the door, and inside we were greeted by a quaint, low-ceiling pub. I looked around trying to figure out where we're supposed to stay.

"Hello. You must be after the room. I'm Kev." A man said from behind the bar. He got out and came to shake our hands.

"Yes we are. And nice to meet you, Kev." Jacob said as he shook the man's hand. Kev then lead us to a narrow staircase to where our room must be. As we reached the second floor, Kev opened the first door on the right. Inside, there were two bedrooms, a worn-out sofa and a table. He also pointed out that if we needed to make a call, we could use the only phone box just around the corner. That's right. The only telephone in Cairnholm.

"Hope you enjoy your stay."Kev said, grinning, and waved goodbye.

"So this is it." Jacob said as he placed his bag on the table. "Let's cool down for just a bit and look for the orphanage after."

"Sure. I'll just go and fix my stuff." I went to bigger bedroom and closed the door behind me. I placed my bag down onto the bed and looked inside for my phone. After several minutes of digging out the contents out of my bag, I finally found it. I opened my phone and a message, which was sent to me a couple of hours ago, appears.

"CALL US AS SOON AS YOU GET THERE!"

It was from my brother, Dale. So I did what his message says, but my calls won't work. After several failed tries, I noticed that there was no signal. Damn it. I have to use the phone booth. As quickly as possible, I went out of the bedroom. "I'm going to the phone booth! I'll be quick!" I yelled as I passed through Jacob, rushing out of the room.