The Interviews

I'm awoken bright and early,this afternoon are the interviews. However we are still in need of being shaped up. Straight after breakfast Saslie takes me for a class on etiquette,how to sit, how to walk, how to smile...my whole body aches as I limp away for lunch. After lunch Finnick works on my charachter. We esatblish straight away that I should be 'charming.'  Finnick asks a few questions and I answer, then he sits back,silent. I can tell something is troubling him.

"Finnick...why did Jaephin volunteer?" I ask softly and I see his eyes glaze over as they did the other night.

"He's a career. He doesn't care." Finnick replies, and I get the idea that maybe Jaephin doesn't love Finnick like he loves him. My heart aches for Finnick. I take his icy hand and he flinches but doesn't try to move.

"In the arena...I'm going to protect him. Get him home okay?"

Finnick opens his mouth to reply ,but Reiliok and my prep team burst in and shoo Finnick out.

Next thing I know is I'm being stripped of every hair follicle, then smothered in an unpleasant smelling substance. An hour later and I;m completely ready. I'm in a light green dress with blue ripples and sandals. My hair is let loose in curls that frame my made up face. I look in the mirror and see that I look delicate, a wisp from the sea...I'm ushered out the room...and before I know it I'm watching the evil district 1 girl acting like a tart,she even flirts with Caesar. I want to throw up. I'm vaguely aware of the other tributes, but when it's my turn, I feel as though no time has passed. I glide to Caesar as though I'm in a dream, and sit down softly, crossing my legs as Saslie advised.

"So Oceassa, a beautiful girl with an excellent training score! I'd say the odds are in your favour." Caesar booms.

"Definitely. Especially now, with all these handsome Capitol boys." I say giggling and blowing kisses. I get a few shouts and whistles in return. Caesar teases me and asks me questions, that I answer easily by saying whatever the audience will want to hear. Then he asks the question I was dreading.

"Tell me, how you felt when your brother was reaped." I swallow, and tell myself not to panic. Somehow an answer slips out my throat.

"Scared. That's another of the reasons why I'm grateful that Jaephin volunteered."

  "Ah, what other reasons do you have then?"

I let out a little laugh. " Who wouldn't want to spend a week with Finnick Odair's brother?" The audience goes wild,only quietening when the horn sounds signalling my time is up. Jaephin's next and hs's funny, but sends out the message not to mess with him. When Caesar asks him about me, he says that I'm beautiful but not his type. The audience actually sighs.

"She's too good for you anyway." Caesar says and the two of them play fight, then it's all over. The rest of the tributes interviews fly by and before I know it we are back on the district 4 floor...for the last night.

Everyone is full of praise for us, Finnick even seems happy and has a bit of banter with Jaephin. The evening is great, and I'm almost disappointed when it's over. Then I remember why we are here...Before we go to our rooms for the night, we have to say bye to Saslie. It's the last time we'll see her as she won't be around in the morning. She cries, hugging us and wishing us luck. I tell her she's been the best escort and Jaephin kisses her, right on the lips. Then she's gone and we go to our rooms where I lay, pitying myself. I want to cry. I am about to be sent into an arena with 23 other teenagers who I'm going to have to fight and maybe kill. Odds are, I'll die in there despite my score. Yes I'll die....and Jaephin will win as I promised....and go home to his brother.....

His brother with the dimples,sugarcubes and sea green eyes.

His brother that I'm in love with.