Gone

In the morning, I wake up to the waves crashing on the shore. It soothes me. I finally let myself think back to my conversation with Snow. 

You're not the only one.  He had said. What does that mean?

Dread courses through my veins. What if...Finnick? It suddenly clicks. He's gorgeous. All those rumours...the night he came in the training centre room drunk....all those mysterious trips to the Capitol....a tear rolls down my cheek....Finnick has been through this....and now his brother is dead. 

I dress quickly and slip out the door. It's freezing cold but I don't care. I've been through worse. I approach Finnicks door slightly nervous. What am I going to say? He opens the door and seeing my worn out face, he lets me in. His hair is bedraggled and I'm about to smile, but I realize he's not alone. A figure shyly steps out a room. A girl about my age. She has long curly brown hair that ripples down the robe she's wearing.

 "Finnick?" She says, and he wraps an arm around her waist. It's obvious they are in love.

"It's okay Annie, Oceassa won't tell." He says kissing her head.

 "Tell who?" I blurt out. Anything to stop him love another girl.

 "Snow." He says meaningfully. Those beautiful eyes are focused on my own. He knows I know.

  "Why would I tell him?" I ask, a little too innocently.

 "Don't act stupid Oceassa." He says tiredly. "I saw that car yesterday. Silent and deadly as our wonderful President entered your house." He says sharply. "People like us...we waren't meant to have other people in our lives." He says, his voice cracking as he tightens his grip on Annie.

His words crush me. All jealousy for Annie ebbs away as I realize that once I sell my body it's gone forever. I can't let that happen. I impulsively rush towards Finnick and he releases Annie to hug me. His familiar arms envelop themselves around me.

"It'll be okay sugar." He whispers. No it won't. I free myself from his embrace and spontaneously hug Annie as well.

"Look after him." I say into her curls. I look at Finnick one more time, then I leave. I know what I must do. 

I run down the front of his house. I pass my house, but I continue sprinting until I reach the ocean. My only comfort. The one thing Snow can't take away from me. It's still early morning and nobody's about. A few boats in the distance....nothing  else. I slip into the sea, wincing at the coldness. Slowly, I walk through the currents. It's waist height now. I don't stop walking until my breasts are submerged. Then, without looking back at 4, and without taking a breath of air, I dive deep beneath the sea. My lungs are on fire, but instead of coming up for air, I open my mouth and salty water floods my body. My life flashes through my eyes. I feel my mother holding me, my brothers hugging me. Father..teaching me to swim and fight. Getting reaped. The games. Raych. Finnick. Jaephin. Then it's gone and all I see is blue.

Finally I'm united with the ocean.