The Funeral

"That didn't go so bad" Thandeka said opening the back door of our house.

"It was fine" I replied helping aunt Laura onto her wheelchair from the car. "I just want to lay down right now."

I pushed aunt Laura into the house and took her medicine out of the drawers. She took a spoon from the kitchen sink and drank her medicine.

"I'm gonna go lie down" I said leaving the kitchen to go to my bedroom.

"Don't sleep for too long" said Aunt Laura. I'm gonna need you to go and give the neighbours something.

I nodded my head and went to take a nap. I heard scrambling in the kitchen and the sound of the stove going on, It sounded like someone was about to cook something. Scenes from the funeral kept on playing in my head before I dozed off.

BEEP BEEP! BEEP BEEP! My alarm rang at 4:30. I got up and stretched my arms before putting on my slippers. The smell of lasagne lingered around the house. I want to the kitchen to see what was going on.

"Good, you're up" said Thandeka handing me a bowl full of lasagne covered by a blue dishcloth. "Aunt Laura made this for Mrs Getrude's family down the road."

"And where is she now " I asked looking around for my aunt.

"She's went to take a bath, she said she was feeling a bit sweaty from the funeral."

"let me get going then" I said leaving the house to go and drop off the food.

The lasagne smelt so good, I just felt like going to the corner and scrapping some off for myself to eat. I walked down the street reading the house numbers. "52, 54, 56, 58" and we're here I said stopping in front of house number 60. I opened the small house gate and went into the yard. The house looked different. Less...happy I guess. Maybe it's because Mrs Gertrude had such a bubbly personality. She was always so energetic. She and her husband Mr Gertrude lived alone even though the house always sounded like it had more than 8 people living in it because of Mrs Getrude's loud personality.

I went up to the front door, took a deep breath and knocked twice. I waited 10 seconds before I heard footsteps.

The door opened and saw a familiar in front of me.

"You!" I said stepping back. It was the rude guy from the funeral that I saw in the cottage bedroom.

"What do you want?" he asked looking impatient. His cold face didn't change from the first time I saw him.

"Don't flatter yourself" I said loosing my temper. "Can you call Mr Getrude or someone that actually lives here."

"I live here" he said stepping forward.

"What do you mean you live here...... Wait are you related to the Getrude's?" I asked.

"They are my parents you idiot... Well, were" he said looking down. "Now what do you want?"

I stood there with my mouth open. I didn't know Mr and Mrs Gertrude had a son. He actually had a few of Mr Getrude's features when I looked close.

" Hello" he said "what do you want?"

"Owh, I actually came here to drop this off" I said handing him the bowl of lasagne.

He took the bowl and shut the door in my face. I stood there with my mouth open. I had never met someone so rude in my life. If it wasn't for the fact that his mother just passed away, I would have followed him into the house and given him a nice hot slap across his face. I moved away from his door and headed for home still in awe.