「 T w o 」

"Oh, he's so clueless. He doesn't even know."

That threw me off a bit, but I ignored it and continued walking with Dani. Maybe they were talking about another guy, I thought.

Once we got to the cafe, we sat down and talked for a bit. We learned more about each other, and it was fun. She even gave me her number.

Dani stood up, "It's getting late. I have to go home now, but I'll text you! Bye!" I waved goodbye to her, and unexpectedly, and walked over to me and gave me a kiss on my cheek.

As she opened the door and made her way to her house, I could feel my face turning as red as a tomato. Why was I feeling like this anyways? Oh, that's right; I'm in love with Dani.

Love: a new feeling I have yet to understand.

I really did love her. She meant the world to me, and she cared as much for me as I did for her. I was caught up in my own little, happy world.

I was wrong.

It had been two, no, three weeks since Dani had made any contact with me. She wasn't absent, because I always saw her with her clique.

What went wrong?

I went to school, as usual, and sat through my tedious classes. Finally, the bell after my fourth class rung, signaling that lunch had started. I put my books away in my locker and made my way to the cafeteria.

I sat down at a table with my friends. We talked about random stuff, which was quite normal for us. Then, one of my friends had asked me something, "Hey, Evan? What happened to you and Dani? I thought you guys were soulmates, but both of you sorta just drifted apart from each other."

I shrugged my shoulders, in response to my friend's question. Honestly, I had no idea what happened either.

I missed talking to her. I missed hanging out with her. I missed staying up late at night texting random things with her.

I loved and missed her.

"Meet me at my locker after school."
- Dani

When I opened my locker, I was greeted with that small piece of paper. Finally, she sort of made contact with me again. However, it wasn't the type I'd want to see.

It was probably something serious.

After school, I grabbed my backpack and made my way to Dani's locker. When I got there, she was already waiting.

"Hey," I greeted her. She gave me a soft smile, but soon, that smile faded, "I need to tell you something."

"Sure. What is it?" I asked. Dani looked away, and she looked back at me.

"We aren't really soulmates," she stated.

"What?" I asked, confused. We had the same phrases on our wrists. How were we not soulmates?

"H-How..?" I mumbled. Dani replied with a smirk, "The phrase you said that was on my wrist: yeah, that was fake. I left when you talked to me, because I went to the bathroom to write on my wrist. I saw what was written on yours, so I thought it would be funny to mess with you."

I loved her, though. I thought she loved me too.

Life is unfair.

"I mean, don't feel bad. You seemed cool, but then, I remembered: You're a failure," Dani said with a smirk on her face.

Her friends laughed in unison, and they, along with Dani, left me standing there, speechless. I guess I never really had a girlfriend. She wasn't my actual soulmate. The relationship we formed was just a lie.

Back to square one I go...