01.00

(Written June 2, 2017)

C H A P T E R O N E!

''Why can't you ever just leave me alone?'' I asked him desperately, just trying to focus on the test in front of me - before I fail. I tend to get extremely unfocused while working on most tasks, though I've been tested numerous times for Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, or ADHD as most people know it by, doctors claim it isn't ADHD and I just have a weak attention span.

Not being able to focus on things were terrible, getting easily distracted and always being the last one to finish the test. What didn't help was that I sat next to the biggest jerk in the high school, your stereotype of a high school bad boy, Anthony Marcus. Trying to stay focused was hard enough, but sitting next to him made things even worse, which I've even taken a couple zero's because of him. ''Sorry green eyes, I would if I could,'' he chuckled lowly, trying to not catch the mostly oblivious's teachers attention.

Instead of answering I just shook my head, and went back to my answer sheet, bubbling in the answers before time runs out. It didn't help that I had another class, ninth period, with the smart ass, and we sat right next to each other again. The only good thing about this period was that lunch was right after it, where I had one more period away from him. I had a late lunch, eighth period, meanwhile I only have nine periods in a school day.

''Times up! Hand in your tests on the way out, the bells about to ring,'' the teacher announced, causing everyone's heads to snap forward. Looking quickly down at my paper, I noticed I wasn't done, with two part two question's left. Rushing, I jotted down the quickest answer I could think of on spot, and handed the test in.

"Thanks to you, because your a dimwit, I guessed on the last two which won't help my failing grade more," I huffed while walking towards the cafeteria. There was no point in talking to him or repeating my last statement, he wasn't listening, nor would he care to answer anyway.

The lunch room seemed like eternity from the third floor - though it was not, and frankly I'm just lazy. It seemed like it had taken fifteen minutes just to be me down there, when in reality, it was about a two minute walk. My body was usually sore from the gym, being that I am a gym fanatic, because at the younger stage of my life I was not the skinniest of the bunch. That was my nice way of saying I was dangerously obese, so badly that I knew I needed to do something about it, but the name calling never helped.

Placing my binder and brown bagged lunch on the table - yes I still bring brown bagged lunch as a junior in high school,  I plopped myself down on the unsteady and uncomfortable lunch chairs. Glancing up for the first time, I noticed my best friend Adelina, with the terrible attendance, was missing from the table again.

"Ade isn't here?" I asked the two other girls at the table, fiddling with their bought food, who finally opened their mouths to speak to me. They were always too wrapped up in their phones, and granted everyone was, but these two were usually the worst.

"No," Serena spoke up, texting away at probably who was right next to her, Julianne. Letting out a loud sigh, I looked the other direction, hoping to see my best friend's head pop out of the crowd. To my luck, it would not happen, and I knew that due to our prior conversation.

This period, without Adelina, was nothing but a bore. Just a mix of each grade, freshmen, sophomores, juniors and freshmen all in one room at once. It was quite interesting actually, seeing everyone mix, wondering who sits with who. As weird as it sounds, I'm an observer. I like to observe people, find new things out, try things most people are afraid to try.

And so there I sat the whole period, more so observing people than chatting with my friends, being that they were wrapped up and I was too out of it to care today. It was a surprising relief once the bell rang and I was stuck in the next class sitting with Anthony, and I'm not sure if I'd rather sit in complete silence for forty minutes again.