Brothers for Life

On a winter's night, where there was nothing but trees and mountains of my land. The winter's night - where rivers were flowing in an endless rhythm. I can hear the sound of my very own breath as I was trying to catch up with my brother.

My brother, Alfred F. Jones, has always shown superiority over me in almost everything. There been times, in which I must admit, I was really and completely envious of Alfred. Look at him, running ahead of me with ease on this heavy trail of snow!!

As he turned around, running backwards... he mockingly said to me while I tried with my hardest on catching up to his pace: "Dude, you're really a slowpoke as a moose!"

Oh, so he dared me to think that I'm slow as a moose?! Why... I'll show that brother of mine, just to wipe that cocky smug off his face!! Just you wait, eh!!

Even when heading into a steep hill, it didn't slow him down. Alfred just coasted through that hill while I continued to run, catching my breath and braving through the thick snow. It's not that I didn't like my country's weather. After all, I grew up with the cold and snow all my life. I'm a nature lover from my beloved country of Canada.

Struggling while running uphill, I accidentally took a bad step and tripped myself, having my face covered in white snow. At the top of the hill, Alfred just gazed at my struggle and simply laughed it up. That brother of mine... he thinks he's perfect in everything! I just wish he could be fair and square with me, not always be so aggressive and competitive all the time!

While I told him to go easy on me as I got up and continued to run hard, Alfred continued to laugh so much as he said: "Are you kidding me, bro?! Dude, can't slow down!! Where's the fun in that!"

Finally, I've managed to reach the top of the hill and continued to run, even when Alfred briefly ran backwards once again. Why does he make it look so easy?! I'm kind and polite, doing everything in my willpower to avoid troubles and conflicts. It's hard to meet his level because he's noticed very often by others Ivan Braginsky from Russia or Wang Yao from China. I'm mostly invisible to everyone... I really wish to be noticed by others like my brother Alfred.

Just a little more running from me, but Alfred suddenly stopped running and headed straight to the edge of a small lake. I followed him along, slowly walking to stand beside him.

We were alone in the forest as light snow began to fall from the skies. We just stood there quietly, doing nothing but watching the night skies with its bright white stars. He turned around and looked at me in a very serious manner... and told me these following words in which will become so very meaningful in my life.

He said, "Matthew, let me get something straight. I'm the one who always gets you into trouble and not to mention on giving you a hard time. I'm always being noticed by everyone else while you're not. That's not good, brother. Just remember this, no matter what happens... we'll always be "Brothers for Life". I will always have your back, brother."

I smiled and tried on not to start crying, but it was meant to be for happiness instead of sadness. This was much unexpected, especially coming from him. After all this time... all these years... behind his carefree attitude, Alfred really is a caring brother. Still, I don't want to be too emotional on my brother.

After telling me this secret, he suddenly said, "Ya better not tell anyone about this, dude! It's too freakin' embarrassing!!"

Then he smashed my face with a snowball and shoved me hard down into the thick snow, walking off. As my face was covered in snow, I've managed to smile again as he gave me a thumbs-up. I just stood there for a long while, remembering the kind and encouraging words from my brother.

Alfred suddenly broke my moment of thought as he yelled out loud: "YO... BRO, COME ON!! I don't think I can't stand this cold weather of yours too long and by the way... YOU'RE STILL A SLOWPOKE AS A MOOSE, DUDE!!"

Ohhh... ALFRED!!! That is enough, eh!! I've had little tears in my eyes because of him saying "slowpoke as a moose" once again. I'LL SHOW HIM!! I began to run to chase him down and try to punch him so that he can stop teasing me. Before I could get to him, he stuck his tongue out and broke into a fast run. As I tried to catch up to his pace once again, while passing fast through the forest trees... my old kept remembering about his words that are secretly spoken like a true brother.

Yes, the greatest and most treasured secret of our real brotherhood - we'll always be "Brothers for Life".

-END-