15.Wolf Whistles

Bryce:

Come to the Cafeteria - Kenzie

That was the text that popped up on my phone after first period.

I was confused as to why Kenzie would want me to come to the cafeteria. I replied with Ok  then made my way there.

When I arrived, I seen the entire cheer team along with a few football players making posters. It was homecoming week. I spotted Kenzie sitting at a table by herself.

I walked over to her and took a seat. "I'm here. What's up?" I asked.

"I am recruiting you." She answered, not looking up from the poster she was currently working on.

I furrowed my eyebrows, "Recruiting me. For what exactly?"

"To help me with all these posters." She said gesturing to the table that had blank poster boards scattered.

"I am not artistic in any way." I stated.

"You know to write, right?" She asked. I nodded my head. "You know how to trace something?" I nodded again. "Good enough for me." She shrugged and handed me a blank poster board along with a picture of an owl -our schools mascot- then gave me a stern look, which told me to get to work.

"Why didn't you recruit Avery?" I asked while I started my attempt at tracing the picture.

"I did. I sent her and Cody to search the school for any destroyed decorations. Students have been knocking them down all week." She sounded aggravated. "Damn kids." She then mumbled.

We had been working in silence for a while until Avery and Cody came back to the cafeteria. "Kenzie, the whole south halls decorations are destroyed. Streamers down, posters torn. It's a madhouse." Avery informed.

Kenzie groaned, "Those damn sophomores. I'm going to kill them!" She was pissed. "We have to fix it now, the south hall is on the parade route." Every homecoming the school did walking parade for the football players, their parents and coaches. I never understood it. But since Kenzie was cheer captain the whole event was on her shoulders, she was trying to make it as perfect as possible.

"Calm down. We will fix it." Cody tried comforting Kenzie. I wasn't so sure it was working.

Kenzie put her head in her hands and groaned/screamed. I cautiously put my hand on her back, rubbing soothing circles trying to get her to calm her frustration. I guess Cody noticed my attempt and raised an eyebrow at me. I just shrugged.

Kenzie took a deep breath then released it. "Okay, you three are coming with me to the south hall to fix the decorations. I'll let the JV squad finish this. Cody, text a few other football players to come help us." She ordered. Cody nodded and started texting. "Boys, you grab a few chairs and meet Avery and I in the south hall." She commanded, then she and Avery left the cafeteria.

Cody crossed his arms over his chest giving me a weird look. "What are you looking at?" I asked, awkwardly.

He smirked, "I saw that, you know." I furrowed my brows. "Your hand on her back, rubbing it, trying to calm Kenz down. What was that?" Cody inquired.

"I was just trying to help. She's stressed." I said.

Cody sighed, "Sure. Sure."

I gave a laugh, "I'm serious."

**********

Cody and I along with four chairs were now with the girls and football players in the south hall attempting to fix the mess created by the sophomores. The south hall was where all the lockers for the sophomores were as well as most of their classes. All grades had been advised to not bother the decorations. I guess the sophomores couldn't go another day without destroying things