Chapter 4

Back at the station, Danny searched through the precinct's criminal history, his eyes darting from the screen down to the leasing paperwork he had obtained from the building's landlord.

Apparently Baez's runaway beau was some clean cut guy named Ty Vega. Or at least what these documents showed; it was a possibility he could have created a false identity so he couldn't be traced.

No names matched, but there were mug shots. Danny pulled out the printed copy of the driver's license and held it up next to the screen of his computer.

Scrolling, scrolling, until finally...a match. Same short, curly brown hair, same piercing brown eyes, same caramel skin with a faded scar beneath the left side of his chin.

Tyrus Villegas. Arrested August 17th 2015 for illegal possession of drugs, association with 10-10 N. Failure to attend court ruling; current whereabouts unknown as of August 2016.

August...almost nine months ago. He probably hadn't even been undercover for more than a few days before his date with Maria.

He sent the file through to the records technician, asking for any names Villegas was and could still be associated with that had a history with the law.

"Reagan!" Lieutenant Carver entered the office space and approached him at his desk. "We were able to contact her family; most recent they saw her was last week, Thursday evening."

Danny sighed. Mrs. Baez was probably going out of her mind hearing about this.

"I think we can officially call this a missing person's." Carver declared.

"Yeah well, I did some looking in," the detective interrupted. "Better make it a two-oh-seven. Got a suspect with a history of involvement in a nine-six-six."

The lieutenant peered over at his computer, then nodded.

"Requested any other names?"

"Waiting on the system for them now."

Soon some files came up. It looked Villegas was only a right hand in the deal, taking orders from a Mateo Abalos, who had been convicted a week after along with his partner Andre Ledezma.

Apparently while Abalos was still currently serving a six-year sentence, Ledezma had been released recently for good behavior and was on parole.

"Guess I'm hunting down an old friend of his," Danny noted. He scanned and printed Ledezma's information then grabbed his badge and keys as he headed out.

"May have just found our only connection to the punk." He murmured.