Chapter 10

“O-ok...I will for you all, I swear to you all I will.” Sparrow spoke. She noticed the the entire area around her began to disappear into dust, leading her back to the forest she was in before. She left the arrangement of trees and made her way to the location of the school, only to find nothing. Her luggage and clothing were on the ground directly where the school was before.

“Well then, at least Ms. Megan won’t be calling me a bird anymore.” Sparrow chuckled to herself, gathering all of her clothes together and placed everything in her luggage. “Where am I going to stay now though?” Sparrow asked herself. Molly’s balloon let out a chime before her voice spoke.

“N-no need, t-the Daemon’s b-banishment s-sped the c-clock. I-it’s the 30th, t-tomorrow morning y-your mom comes b-back for you.” Molly said. Sparrow’s eyes widened as she ran to Nehalem. All the buildings were closed but lights were on, a clock shop’s window showed several clock faces that read: 5:00 am March 31. Sparrow nearly screamed out in joy as she ran to the candy shop, the owner opening up for the day.

“Can I use your phone?” Sparrow asked the owner. He didn’t ask why, and only nodded his head.

“Sure thing, just give me a sec.” The owner said. Sparrow nodded as the shop owner opened the door to his shop, turning on the lights “Phone’s against the left wall.” He stated as he turned on a few of the displays that spun around a collection of lollipops. Sparrow went to the candy cane style wall and dialed up her mother’s number, waiting for a response.

“Come on, pick up the phone, pick up the phone.” Sparrow repeated to herself. The owner looked at Sparrow.

“Like the balloons.” he said happily. Sparrow looked back at him and flashed a believable fake smile.

“Hello?” Sparrow’s mom answered. Sparrow immediately went to the phone call.

“Mom! I need you to pick me up from the candy shop in Nehalem, the little town you passed by from the school.” Sparrow said quickly.

“Can I ask why?” Her mom asked.

“Nope, just pick me up please, I have everything.” Sparrow replied, eagerness in her voice.

“Fine, I’ll see you in a bit.” Her mom responded back calmly.

“Ok, and mom.” Sparrow began.

“What?” Her mother asked.

“I love you.” Sparrow answered back warmly.

“Aw, I love you too.” Her mother said before ending the call. Sparrow placed the phone back onto the wall and slouched against the seat, sighing.

"Where's your little friend?" The owner asked Sparrow, pulling on large pulls of taffy. Sparrow did her best to remain calm as she forced out an answer.

"H-he," She stopped and cleared her throat to get rid of her stutter "He's with his grandma in California." She lied. The owner simply nodded his head as he continued to make the candies in his shop. Sparrow looked at the balloons, wanting to pop them as soon as possible. Her mind kept saying to pop them right there and then, but her heart told her to wait a little longer.

"I don't want to say goodbye just yet." She muttered to herself as she waited and stared out the window. She watched the sun rise and leaned back in her seat.

"Want something to eat? You look hungry." The owner asked. Sparrow looked at the owner before nodding her head slightly.

"Um, yeah, thanks." Sparrow replied. The owner smiled warmly and went to the counter, grabbing a large rainbow swirled lollipop.