Chapter Eleven:

CHAPTER ELEVEN:

"Oh god," I mumbled, under my breath. I was frozen- I could hear the footsteps behind me getting louder, and knew I was trapped.

"There you are!" The booming voice of the stocky, dark-haired man shattered the intense quiet and made me jump. In the gathering darkness I could see he was looking past me, which confused me for a second.

"Yeah," a voice called loudly from behind me, making me flinch again. "We just took a little detour."

I couldn't move, my whole body had seized up in terror. The thickest man shrugged away from the wall and walked slowly into the street. My hands were trembling and my magic was lashing around inside me. I was pretty sure I was about to be sick.

"S-stay away from me!" I stammered.

"Aw, don't be like that sugar." He laughed, and the chortling behind me started up again. Indecision warred in my head, as my wand heated up in my white-knuckled grip.

How quickly could I get away from Port Angeles? I wondered. I couldn't apparate, I was supposed to learn that this year, and the Trace would be activated the second I used magic. I'd have maybe two minutes between using magic and Snatchers appearing, as they'd have to make several staggered apparations, international apparation being far too dangerous. But despite their slight hold up, there was no way I could get to safety in time.

Dread welled up inside me, as I realized that I had to choose between the Snatchers and these muggles. The feeling of sickness increased tenfold, and echoes of the names listed on Potterwatch were bouncing around in my skull.

If Snatchers caught me, I was as good as dead. But if I let these muggles do what they wanted- I actually vomited a little in my mouth, and tears sprung up my eyes at this thought- if I let them do what I thought they were going to do, then chances were they'd leave me alive afterwards.

I slid my wand back up my sleeve and braced myself, feet apart, trying to remember through my panic and nausea what little self-defense I knew. I may have chosen them, but it didn't mean I was going down without a fight.

Heel of the hand thrust upward, hopefully breaking the nose or shoving it into the brain. Finger through the eye socket- try to hook around and pop the eye out. And the standard knee to the groin, of course.

There may be four of them, but I wasn't going without taking someone with me.

Headlights suddenly flew around the corner, the car almost hitting the stocky one, forcing him to jump back toward the sidewalk. I dove onto the road- this car was either going to stop, or have to hit me. But the silver car unexpectedly fishtailed around, skidding to a stop with the passenger door open just a few feet from me.

"Get in." A furious voice commanded. It was amazing how instantaneously the choking fear vanished, amazing how suddenly the feeling of security washed over me- even before I was off the street- as soon as I heard his voice.

I jumped into the seat, slamming the door shut behind me. It was dark in the car, and the tires squealed as he spun around to face north, accelerating too quickly, swerving toward the stunned men on the street. I caught a glimpse of them diving for the sidewalk as we straightened out and sped towards the harbor.

"Put on your seatbelt." He commanded, and I realized I was clutching the seat with both hands. I quickly did as he said, promising myself that it was a one time thing only, and the belt made a loud snapping sound as it connected.

I slumped into the chair as Edward drove at an ungodly speed, who knows where, blowing several stop signs along the way. But even with his maniac driving, I felt... safe. I stared at his face in profound relief, studying his flawless features in the limited light, waiting for my breathing to return to normal.