Chapter Two

"How do you like my house so far?" Asked Lark. We were seated in some kind of living room on dark leather couches. Lark looked at me eagerly, waiting for my answer. On his face was a grin, etched onto pallid skin.

"It's alright, I suppose. Very decorative." Was all I could say. My voice started to regain its vigor all of a sudden.

"Why, thank you. I designed most of it." It was like Lark was trying his best to boast about his domicile. I shuddered. Either he was ignorant and craved praise or he just wanted the opinion of a young mind. Lark continued with his questions. "Did you enjoy your meal? We don't eat that type of cuisine here often, so--"

"What was it? The meat smelled... different." I didn't want to say it smelled terrible that I almost puked. For all I knew, it could've been their typical food around here. I'm not one to put people down out of my own accord. I truly didn't want to sadden anybody here, especially since I had only been here for only a couple minutes. I really wanted to know what it was.

"Vampire meat."

I slumped back, almost feeling the wet clump of broken-down food rise into my throat again. My muscles tightened and I felt uneasy. Vampire meat, torn right off the flesh of real vampires... Finely sliced... Roasted, cooked and grilled to a simple perfection... But vampires don't exist, do they? I glared back at Lark. His fiery red eyes glared back at me. I gulped down the food that was lodged in my throat and suppresed the gag.

"Vampires? They don't exist..." My voice trailed off. They could and I wouldn't even know. It would explain the strange, red eye color that Lark possesed. It'd also meant that Lark was a cannibal... I felt the need to throw up again.

"Then what would I be if vampires didn't exist?" With that, Lark arose from his chair. Taking a deep breath, he tightened his hands in a fist. And he flew. Well, he didn't fly exactly, he sort of hovered over the floor. Next thing I knew, he was waltzing toward me, walking on thin air. His feet tapped against nothing. There was no reason to prove him wrong, unless there were thin puppet strings tied to his body to prop him up into midair. I realized my mouth had gaped open so I quickly shut it. Lark snickered as he slowly dropped down onto the floor. I really wished I could float too.

"That was crazy." Was all I could say. I was still utterly shocked. My mind was even blank, as if I knew nothing. I wanted to laugh it off, shrug it off as a pure hallucination. I couldn't have been living in a world where vampires existed. That was completely nonsensical. Humans would have acheived so much with their help, unless they, the vampires, stood away from us humans.

"I hear you're a hybrid." Claimed Lark, taking his seat once again.

I nodded slowly. "Yes." To my surprise, Lark's eyes widened.

"But, who told you that?" Lark snapped. He wasn't angry, I surmised. He was just curious. He knew he wasn't the once who told me. I had eavesdropped by mistake. I cursed in my head. I really wasn't supposed to know that. I mean, Lark had already hinted at that fact just two seconds ago so why would he react so... shocked?

"I overheard some people talking when I woke up downstairs." I muttered, glancing down at my feet momentarily. Lark's eyes were on me then suddenly shot to my left, where the staircase was. He looked as if he were smiling again. I turned back. A girl was standing there. She held her arms together behind her back and her lavender-colored shirt appeared taut against her perfect frame. Her dark pants were ripped off at her kness and displayed fraile, pale legs. Her hair was long and straight. It was as black as night and seemed very silky. Bright hazel eyes blinked cluelessly at me.

"Rian," Lark stood up again. I followed suit this time. "This is one of my servants. You'll be in her care during your stay." Lark's low voice echoed in my head before slipping away through my other ear. I waved awkwardly. The girl walked slightly closer.

"Nice to meet you, Sir Rian." Her voice was soft and gentle. "My name is Aeron."

...

[A/N: I had to rewrite this chapter but I honestly think it came out better than before...Not like you'd know that lol. Tell me what you think of this so far! I appreciate it! Thanks again.]