B-C | Blueberry Cake

"Hurry up, ah!" Somi shouted to her sister Evelyn, the latter rushing to the restroom of the Dunkin' Donuts

"Ugh..." Somi trifled to herself, "Why did Minskoff's washrooms have to be out of order today of all days? Our luck really is terrible... I bet Lion King's already starting too..."

Indeed, it was quite unfortunate that today Minskoff Theatre's washrooms were out of order. Although such an occurrence would be unfortunate on any day. It was especially unfortunate today, however, because today was the one day the Douma family booked their Lion King showing tickets amidst all the other days of their vacation in New York - it was not all that common of an event that Somi's group, Incandescent (aka ICDC, aka Bag-Yeol, aka B.Y.), a superfluously famed girl group of Korea halted their promotions, and as time went on, the rarity of the instance would only grow along with their popularity.

But at the moment another worry was beginning to supersede Somi's concern over her family's viewing of Lion King. She frowned intensely, staring at the Dunkin' Donuts menu as her eyes formed into a focused scowl and her lips compressed into a frustrated pout. 

"Ahh... and now I'm hungry..." she thought to herself, her stomach grumbling with desire simply for satiation. 

She braided her hair futilely (that is, she herself didn't know how to braid hair properly, normally relying on her fancily-paid stylists), standing with one leg crossed over the other as she leaned against the wall. With model-like proportions and a chic aura, one could swear Somi was the coolest, prettiest and most glamorous 18 year old girl ever seen in a New York Dunkin' Donuts, fashionably showcasing her purple fade flannel over an Abercombie white buttoned shirt paired with light jean shorts. However, she was, in fact, rather the goofiest and most care-free, happy-go-lucky spirited 18 year old girl ever in the world - and at the moment, the most hungry girl for a Dunkin' Donuts doughnut in the galaxy

She pondered upon choices, scanning the cascading labels on the digital overhead screens. "White powdered? Strawberry jelly? Triple chocolate? - oh, am I just hallucinating that one? But there was something else I'm forgetting..."

Somi rubbed her tummy in dissatisfaction, her puppy face only serving herself as she struggled to win the inner battle with her conscience.

The two miniature ethereal caricatures of her light and dark side popped up in classic fashion on her shoulders. 

"You must not! Your mother gave you your own credit card only 3 months ago for your birthday! She wants you to be patient. Be a responsible adult, do the right thing!" the angel on her right shoulder urged her.

The devil Somi smirked, knowing her master's most fatal weakness, knowing the two words which would make Somi bend her knees in surrender.

"yah," devil Somi whispered.

Somi turned her head to her left shoulder.

"blueberry cake."

Somi lost to her dark side

Somi lost to her dark side. The blueberry cake doughnut was the delectable treat she had forgotten. Ever since she was a child, she yearned for the desirable blueberry cake doughnut which she couldn't find at Korean Dunkin' Donuts as they did not have it on their menu. She still remembered the savoury moment from her early childhood, when she still lived in Toronto for the first few, brief years of her life - she tasted the blueberry cake doughnut for the first time during a road trip stop over at Dunkin' while heading to New York for a previous vacation, and she had discovered that the blueberry cake embodied what would be the ultimate guilty pleasure. The fruity and creamy flavours culminated to an amalgamation of sheer sweetness which led the eater to another world of sugar and frosting galore. 

And now, Somi's opportunity to reunite with her long lost love was ever more evident now that she stood inside of a New York - not Korean - Dunkin' Donuts, placed at 163 W 48th Street.

She swiped a look at the restroom door to ensure her sister would not witness her commit the hungry deed. After cautious observation, shifting her eyes left and right, she slipped into the line of people in front of the counter.

"Ahhh... please hurry up!" she mentally cried. 

Orders were served at a moderate pace. Somi's grumbling stomach clashed with her mental inclination to check on the washroom door every 5 seconds. It was a stressful pursuit. If she was seen by Evelyn, Somi knew she wouldn't be getting that doughnut anymore at all. Then, it would be a tale most definitely tattled to Queen Douma - their mother. In which case, she also had to eat it before Evelyn came back out.

At last, she was second in line. The man at the front of the line cleared his throat.

Somi gasped, biting her lower lip in hopes he would not have a lengthy order.

"Ahem," the man begun.

Please...

"I would like..."

I'm begging you..!

__________________

Somi and Evelyn walked into the theatre, struggling to find their seats amidst the darkened lighting which complimented the show. After countless stumbles and whispers in hopes of catching their parents' attention, they were able to return to their places.

"Mama," 10 year old Evelyn whispered across the seats, "Somi tried to buy a doughnut!"

"Ahh, Ennik..." their mother began, "I told you, try not to use your credit card so much for eating out. For the first few months, I want you to focus on using it only for important emergencies."

"But mom..." Somi urged, "It... it was important!"

"Oh? So it was an emergency?"

"Y... yyeaaahhhhh..."

"Ahh, really? What was the emergency?"

"... A blueberry cake doughnut."

Her mother's eyes widened for a moment, then she sighed into a smile and chuckled.

"Somi. You really get your humour from your father," she conceded.

"All right, all right. I'll let it pass because you've been very, very very nice these past months to your sister - EVEN THOUGH you've been eating out quite a lot. From now on, if you're going to use your card, try to call me first, good?"

"Yes, yes, mom..." Somi sighed.

"Shh!! Shhhh!!!" Somi's father shushed, a finger ushering towards Somi's mouth as he prompted to sing along, "It's the circle of liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiife!~"

Somi pouted, crossing her arms. Her stomach growled. 

She tilted her head, resting her cheek on her left arm which was propped on the arm rest of her chair. 

Ahh... if only that guy in line didn't order a dozen right before me!

 if only that guy in line didn't order a dozen right before me!